any one avid scifi readers?

just wondering if any one here is as big of a scifi nut as i am when it comes to books. my favorite series so far is the ender wiggin series and the ender's shadow series...

I think so, although my tastes run more to "Classic" science fiction. Anyone know the name Keith Laumer, or why I, of all people, might mention it here?

I think so, although my tastes run more to "Classic" science fiction. Anyone know the name Keith Laumer, or why I, of all people, might mention it here?
Shhhhh! You'll blow your cover. :wink:

Great series.

I also gravitate to the classic authors (although when I first read them they were not yet "classic" :biggrin: ). I have always liked the works of Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, either writing as a team or individually. Their team effort, The Mote in God's Eye is one of the best "scientific science fiction" works. Larry Niven's The Integral Trees is an overlooked gem.

I have a great a love of all things Sci-Fi and read much. I've read all the Ender books which were great! I love Greg Bear's books (Eon and others), Stephen Donaldson's Gap Series (also the author of the much older Thomas Covenant series which is fantasy), and my all time favorite... Dan Simmons Hyperion books.

Shhhhh! You'll blow your cover. :wink:
have always liked the works of Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, either writing as a team or individually. Their team effort, The Mote in God's Eye is one of the best "scientific science fiction" works. Larry Niven's The Integral Trees is an overlooked gem.

I like hard SF, where science is realistic. I've never read "The Mote in God's Eye". Added it to the list in Amazon. Thanks!

One of my all-time favorites is "Replay" by Ken Grimwood. Marvelous story. Pity he passed away young and did not get to write much more (I also read another one of his books).

I haven't read much science fiction in a while, but some of the very best I ever read;
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea-Jules Verne
War of the Worlds and The Time Machine- H.G.Wells
virtually anything by John Wyndham (Chrysilids, Midwich Cookoos, The Cracken Wakes, etc
Isaac Asimov Robot novels, Foundation series, and pretty much anything he wrote
Ray Bradbury -Martian Chronicles
the work of Stanley G. Weinbaum
West of Eden Trilogy-Harry Harrison
Dune-(the first couple of books in the series) Frank Herbert
There are more, but I'm at work and I'd have to check my shelves at home to list all the SciFi I loved.

I haven't read much science fiction in a while, but some of the very best I ever read;
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea-Jules Verne
War of the Worlds and The Time Machine- H.G.Wells
virtually anything by John Wyndham (Chrysilids, Midwich Cookoos, The Cracken Wakes, etc
Isaac Asimov Robot novels, Foundation series, and pretty much anything he wrote
Ray Bradbury -Martian Chronicles
the work of Stanley G. Weinbaum
West of Eden Trilogy-Harry Harrison
Dune-(the first couple of books in the series) Frank Herbert
There are more, but I'm at work and I'd have to check my shelves at home to list all the SciFi I loved.
Oh yes I forgot about those! Isaac Asimov is excellent and certainly classic. Al the robot and foundation books are fantastic. And until you mentioned Harry Harrison I had forgotten all about those. I read the West of Eden trilogy long ago and loved them.

Asimov had some really good stuff. Heinlein was good. E.E. Smith's Lensman series was one of the best. My favorite is Perry Rhodan. In the US they printed around 180 books in the series and in Germany it is over 2000 books the last I heard. Can't stand the fantasy stuff they put in the SF sections.

Yes, Bill, I remember Laumer's "Dinosaur Beach." Great book! One of the best time travel novels.

I started early and loved Asimov's Foundation trilogy, most of Arthur C. Clarke, and (not do date me, of course) A.E. Van Vogt. I loved the first Dune novel, the second less so, and didn't like the rest at all.

As for later work, my favorite is the "Gateway" series by Frederic Pohl. His best work, by far, and my new front-runner for best series ever. That is closely followed by the "Neuromancer" series of William Gibson. I also liked the Ender series a lot, "Millenium" by John Varley, "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson.

By the by, if you like sprawling adventure sagas with some good science thrown in, try Stephenson's "Cryptonomicon." Both my and my wife's 'book of the year' two years ago; and adventure is not her genre of choice.

If you're after hard science try Vernor Vinge's works.

I'm a hard science fan, too. My wife owns a bookstore and I have had heated discussions with her about why, oh why, do all stores mix fantasy and science fiction when they are so clearly different genres. She says that that's what the customers want. And it's her store.

I'm a hard science fan, too. My wife owns a bookstore and I have had heated discussions with her about why, oh why, do all stores mix fantasy and science fiction when they are so clearly different genres. She says that that's what the customers want. And it's her store.
It's funny you say this because I would certainly like to see more separation of the two genres...but more for the sake of easier browsing. From my point of view the two genres ARE very similar. I see them as much more the same than they are different. But that's my opinion. I love and read both. And the more I read of both the more my opinion grows the two genres are simply two sides of the same coin. :smile:

It's funny because I have two good friends who are VERY avid readers. One is strictly sci-fi and doesn't touch fantasy, the other is entirely fantasy and never touches sci-fi. And this is fine if they have tried tasting some samples of each and find they prefer one or the other. If that is case then who am I too argue? I just don't think eveyone gives a fair chance and develops a "one or the other" attitude. (Not saying this is you Neige, just in genreal). That makes me sad. I'm still working on those two friends to see if they might take a look on the other side of the coin since since from my conversations with them it seems they haven't. Fortunately there are some 'crossover' type books which mix elements of each genre (for example some of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover novels). That could possibly make the transition easier. :)

Back to what I said in the beginning, even though I do think they are similar...they are different enough to warrant greater delineation in shelving. But then...where do the books which mix the two genres go? :tongue:

Hmmm must be a bunch of 'old fogeys' here :p

Like mentioned already some good stuff I've read include

Isaac Asimov - Robot novels & Foundation series
Ray Bradbury - Martian Chronicles
L Ron Hubbard - Battlefield Earth series
Harry Harrison - Stainless Steel Rat series
Frank Herbert - Dune

But I've also read all the Star Wars books (all 125 of them so far)

However one of my ALL time favorite stories - happens to be a short story by George R. R. Martin called Sandkings...

I also indulge in Fantasy as well - mainly the DragonLance series and anything by R.A. Salvatore (I love his Drow elf books)

Some of my favs:

John Brunner: Sheep Look Up, Shockwave Rider and the excellent Stand On Zanzibar

Yevgeny Zamyatin: We (or Ourselves, depending on the Russian translation) The first great dystopian fiction, and far far superior to 1984

Thomas M Disch:The Genocides and Camp Concentration

Olaf Stapleton: Star Maker

Alfred Bester: The Stars My Destination

Joe Haldeman: The Forever War

Philip K ****: A Maze of Death, 3 Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch

EE Doc Smith: Lensmen series

JG Ballard: The Drowned World

Robert Silverberg: Dying Inside

Russell Hoban: Riddley Walker

Ursual Le Guin: The Left Hand of Darkness, The Dispossessed

Walter M Miller: A Canticle for Leibowitz

Modern Scifi doesnt really do it for me. It seems to have lost direction. Sci fi should hold a mirror to modern society, and challenge assumptions about transcendence and identity. Ive not read anything interesting from a modern author in years.

believe it or not i dont think i've read anything from Asimov. I know I've read War of the Worlds in high school and actually enjoyed it... I also like some of the Fantasy genre, but they recently re-classified one of the authors I like to Horror? I don't get it with that one, her books aren't exactly scary by any stretch of the imagination.

Asimov, Bradbury, and a 60's contemporary named Harlan Ellison were my favorites. Early Vonnegut (Sirens of Titan) I loved also. The Genre is lacking imagination these days, me thinks....

No one else here read any of the work of Stanley G. Weinbaum?
A Martian Odyessy and A Parasite Planet are two of his best stories. He was one of the first SciFi writers to get away from the "Bug-eyed Monster" syndrome where aliens came to earth only intent on destroying it or enslaving us. He give Aliens intelligence, and carefully crafted planetary ecosystems before anyone else thought to do so.
He published his first story, A Martian Odyessy in 1934, but died eighteen months later.
It has been said that had he lived, he likely would have been one of the three or four greatest Science Fction writers of all time.
If anyone is interested in some of the roots of science fiction, I suggest giving Weinbaum a read.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom