1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Any one tried StackShot?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Dayo, May 9, 2019.

1. Nope. D850/focus stacking is all you need. Might be interesting for those without a D850.

2. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    I have a StackShot and use it on conjunction with a CamRanger and an iPad.
    It allows you to use minute steps and set the range very accurately.
    CamRanger alone can focus-stack but not with the fineness of control which StackShot provides.
    You will particularly appreciate the difference if you shoot microscopic objects.
    Wasp-Jaws-web.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Jaws of a Wasp

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wicked, very nice pic. My only thought is it would be really bad if these things got scaled up 2 or 3, 100 times. :) 

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. The Z6 and Z7 also have focus stacking.

5. They do indeed. BUT they don't have mirrors.(n) 

6. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Here is his hairy face and eyes;
    WaspFace-3-Helicon-web.jpg

and the Bee's Knees too!
    102_D3S6234_Beetle-Knee-web.jpg

I have a 10x microscope objective lens which I can mount on my camera (with an adapter) so several 100x magnification at print-size is very possible!

7. Impressive @Ann_JS@Ann_JS. How did you convince him to sit still for you?

8. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    He had no choice in his current state: he was "deceased"!
    Fortunately for me when working at such close range because they carry a very powerful stinger at the other end

9. A face only a mother could love. Amazing shot!

10. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Good software is the other part of successful Focus Stacking.
    I evaluated several different packages and decided that Zerene Stacker was the easiest to use and produced the best results.

11. I have a Stackshot, and also use it in conjunction with a CamRanger.

Depending on what you are intending to photograph, you might get away with using something like the CamRanger, or a body with the function inbuilt. I create hundreds of focus stacks each year, mostly of fungi and native orchids. The CamRanger has served me well over the years, but for the majority of the focus stacks these days I use bodies with the functionality inbuilt. Although I have a few bodies Nikon, Fuji, and Olympus with the functionality, the one I tend to use the most is the Olympus. Trying to understand the step size, particularly with small subjects can be frustrating since you don't get to see the results (unless of course you utilise the stacking functionality built into the Olympus) until you process them on a computer. I find the Olympus gives me reasonably consistent results in the field, the CamRanger also gave me similar results. The bodies with the functionality built in utilise the electronic shutter, which makes the process very quick, compared to using a StacksShot and/or CamRanger.
    Although you can use the StackShot in the field if you purchase the battery, it IMO, is not really suited for taking a lot of stacks. The bodies with the inbuilt functionality are by far the most versatile.

Here are a couple of my focus stacks

#1 90 image stack of a coffee bean
    [​IMG]

#2 20 image focus stack of an Orchid
    40582999521_75d9fa1f6a_b.jpg

12. Here are some sample shots showing how I use the CamRanger in the field.

Using a tablet allows me to stay on my feet, its also particularly handy when in leech infested territory as it minimises my exposure to them :)  Not so fortunate for the camera and tripod.

Some cameras come with great apps for remote control so for me the CamRanger is being used less and less in the field. Buts its handy if using a Nikon or Canon body with just the basics.

#1 I place the camera in roughly the right location, then make adjustments to its position for composition while viewing the image on the tablet. On many occasions the camera is inverted on the tripod so I can get the lens closer to the ground. This is purely based on the subject and its location.
    28327763739_a9b6085739_b.jpg

#2 Standing back, I then make the necessary adjustments and hit the start button.
    39209552335_5ea7396202_b.jpg

#3 At home I process the stack.
    26234567528_58c1e597b7_b.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    I can't quite see but it looks as if you may be using the electric motor-controlled pan-tilt tripod head which CamRanger also sells?

It's a very useful device when you have the camera in an awkward position because you can also drive and position the head very precisely by remote control through the CamRanger.

14. Although I do have the remote controlled head, it tends to add too much height for fungi and native orchids. The above set of images was put together for a presentation I did a few years back. I generally use a smaller tripod with a slightly lower profile ball head, which also works well inverted. Although sometimes a full height tripod is required for some fungi.

28373534078_520ff2ba38_b.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.