1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Any one using 18-200 VRII?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by sagar, Jun 29, 2008.

1. sagar

sagar

Jun 29, 2008
    USA
    Searched couple of pages but could not find a thread on 18-200 VR. If any one using this lens, could you please share your experience and couple of images?

Thank you :) 

2. My experience with this lens has been very positive. Lately, my wife's been using it. She shot this at a wedding recently using the Nikkor 18-200 VR on a D200 body.

3. She caught a nice shot, Scott, but it's bad form to steal the pro's setups ;-).

4. It's my walk-around lens. It's on my camera about 25% of the time. I'm the first to admit I'd rather have a lens on my camera that's better with light, dispite the smaller zoom range, but there are times when you just wanna go out an click...

Here's some shots from yesterday...

Pirate Invasion Faire - Long Beach, CA - People/Portraiture/Weddings Gallery

And some other shots from this weekended:

[​IMG]

This guy was REALLY angry....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Sagar...

This was shot with "your" incoming 18-200 VR today...

[​IMG]

6. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    18-200 wow too expensive for my blood.

7. sagar

sagar

Jun 29, 2008
    USA
    Thank you guys :)  keep them coming

Don, didn't know you are here too, I am feeling glad about "my" decision :D 

8. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    I am glad you decided to buy it... the 18-200 VR is a great lens. The range can not be beat... :biggrin:

9. sagar

sagar

Jun 29, 2008
    USA
    It is expensive and that was one of the reason I was hesitating to go for it. But when I calculated everything, cost of multiple lenses down the line, changing the lenses and missing the shots and best of all having DSLR with ONE lens I found it to be cheaper in the long run

just my explanation of spending $$$ :biggrin:

10. Bill N

Bill N Guest

One tip I would pass your way from my experience in the past, the lens seems to have a "sweet" spot at ~f8. For a super zoom you will be surprised with what it can do! Have fun with it!!

11. RayLarson

RayLarson

Mar 27, 2007
    Pawtucket, RI
    I have had this lens for over a year and it's performance has been stellar. It's on my D80 80% of the time and really shines. It's great to have the flexibility of the 18-200 focal length and the VR is icing on the cake. Here's a couple of samples

2525214244_94faf1f620_b.
    2525216548_340d9a585c_b.

12. Well, the "pro" was me - so I guess she had permission. :wink:

13. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    I just got the lens but it's too hot to go out and shoot. I've got a couple of shots taken with it and a couple with the Sigma 135-400 in a thread on TPF but their server is broken. When it comes back up I'll post a link. I really like the lens. I bought the Sigma 18-200 OS but it was one of the stiff examples. I took it back and moved up to this one and am happy with the choice.

14. tlong

tlong

May 25, 2008
    Southeast, USA
    I know a lot of people don't like this lens, because it is not pro glass. I have small children and love having the option of an all-in-one lens for P&S moments. I find that I am taking more shots of my kids because I am ready with camera in hand more often. Sure...I wish it were 2.8, but compromises must be made in every lens choice. The colors are awesome. It definitely gives up bokeh and background separation compared to a 70-200 2.8 for example, but I think it does an outstanding job for what it is!

Here are a few samples...
    309727937_afVyb-L.
    2. This would not normally be my choice of lenses for a shot like this, but I had just gotten it and wanted to see how it did...
    310323163_7sdib-L.
    318451143_cp4xo-L.
    318452723_pjDNr-L.
    320099119_VnWUa-L.
    320099487_ZndqW-L.

I tried to show some different focal lengths in different conditions. Most of these are wide open. I hope you enjoy your new lens!

15. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    definitely true if i had money i'd probably just buy it and stick with it. heck i probably even try to sell my kit lens for 70 bucks.

16. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
  17. LeeF

LeeF

May 24, 2008
    Massachusetts, USA
    WNPhoto is right. That lens works wonderfully at f8.

18. 18-200VR on a D40 is a wonderful combo. My wife uses it all the time, and often beats me with my more expensive setup.

As you can see, we have two of them and one has been sadly neglected of late.

19. sagar

sagar

Jun 29, 2008
    USA
    Ray, those are really amazing shots, have you done any PP on those shots ? I am a hobbyist so if I get that quality of shots from the copy I am getting, I don't think I will ever need other lens except a wide angle/50/85 primes.

Tracy, I am in same boat one of the primary reason to get this lens is to shoot my newborn :D  and I am glad that its so useful for this purpose

thHundreds, I fully agree with you, I waited for more than a year to get this lens (I had thought of it when I was using D70)

LDB thanks for the link, I will check TPF :) 

Lee, thanks I will keep that in mind as I start using it :D 

Jim, your images are not showing up for me

20. Lankadragon

Lankadragon Guest

I love this lens. Its a little heavy and not that great in low light, but I really do love the lens. I think a couple fast primes and Im set. I use it with the D40.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.