Any reputable place I can go....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cleoent, Jul 17, 2008.

1. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    to purchase an extended warranty on my d300? I've had it since November 2007. So i still have the Nikon warranty, nothing is wrong with it, BUT i just want to be covered.

Anyone know of a place where you can purchase an extended warranty this far after the original purchase?

2. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I believe you can buy it within 1 year of purchase from ANY Nikon dealer. As long as the original warranty is in effect, you can extend it, according to Nikon service via telephone, when I asked.

So, you can shop around for the best price.

3. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
  4. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    That is why I called Nikon Service. I bought 2) D300's on day of release, as did many here, and there were no extended warranty cards printed from Nikon during the first 30 days. There was a great concern among many Cafe members, self included.

Several of us called Nikon Melville, NY Service. They said we could do 1) of 2) things:

1) Buy warranty extension for D200 and scratch out "D200", and mark "D300". The serial # would indicate the model to Nikon. This is the option I chose.

or:

2) Wait until up to the last day of original warranty and buy and send in the extended warranty. Nikon assured us the 30 day "rule" is meant to encourage a decision, rather than as a limiting factor in warranty enforcement.

If you seek further verification, I suggest you call Nikon Service yourself (you may want to call the Nikon Service in CA, as that is the closest to you)..

5. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    so i can go to my local nikon retailer and buy the d200 2 yr extenion for 99.99 and my d300 will be covered??!?!??!?!

Nikon sells 2 yrs online at 169.99.

6. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Absolutely! But, you have more choices now: there are several Nikon dealers with an online presence who sell a D300 warranty for $99.99. I will not post any dealer names out of fairness to the other dealers, but shop around and you will find them. PM me if I can help you further.

7. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    AWESOME!

THANKS!

99.99 is a lot better than 169.99. But also the mack idea if they will allow me to buy it seems tempting as well. Of course i doubt i'll have a d300 longer than 3 years, but you never know!

8. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I may be the only one here who feels this way, but I will only send a Nikon body to Nikon service for repair or adjustment. It just seems right to me. Call it a hangup.

Mack warranty is not honored by Nikon Service, so the only place I would send the body will only accept genuine Nikon warranty extension - so that is why I buy Nikon extended warranty.

You may not have the same hangup as I, and Mack may fit your needs well.

9. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    yeah i like the idea of it going to nikon.

I bought my d70 with ritz's very expensive insurance, and used it twice. Paid for itself, i told myself although i couldnt afford it at the time of purchase that i would get one for the d300 as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.