Any S5 Wedding Photographers out there?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by barriosa, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Anyone using the Fuji wedding photography? If so:

1. How do you like it?
    2. What were you using before?
    3. Did you consider a switch to Canon Before getting the S5?
    4. Are you able to open and access the S5 RAW format in CS2 Bridge?
    5. How large are the S5 RAW images on average?
    6. Is the camera considerably slower than the advertised 3 FPS when shooting RAW?
    7. Is there a RAW + JPG mode?

I've been learning about wedding photography as a second shooter and I'm not happy with the D200 at anything above ISO 400, particularly in churches. I'm also wanting to use less flash and more natural light. Every wedding photographer I've worked with or have run into is shooting with a Canon, and its really starting to annoy me.

I'm just looking for at least ONE good reason not to jump ship.

2. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois
    The S5 Pro is a good option for competing with Canon. It's not perfect, but it fills in the gap nicely. Be prepared though, it is slower than the D200 so don't expect a speed demon by any means.

I'll try to post more after work.

Sean

3. Thanks for the info Sean, that was exactly the info I was looking for.

I have a hard time carrying around 2 bodies at a wedding how to you handle three!!??

4. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois
    I only carry two with me: one with the 17-55 and the other with the 70-200 VR.
    I set one down while shooting with the other one. I don't use neckstraps--they inhibit me from quickly dumping one of my bodies in the heat of the battle. :wink:

The third goes with my assistant (wife) and sits on the 200 f/2 VR. :biggrin:

Gotta run...

Sean

5. It sounds like the S5 would be perfect for the ceremony and formals.

Thanks again for the info.

6. I belong to the DWF, Digital Wedding Forum. Many there have switched from Canon To the S5 Pro becasue of the high ISO performance, but mainly becasue of the auto WB and exposure. JPEG straight from the camera need very little or no editing.

7. Thank you Greg you really made my week!! I have been struggling with the idea switching to a 5D STRICTLY BECAUSE OF ALL THE WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHY!!! Knowing that there are even Canon users who switched to the S5 has pulled me back from jumping. Now I don't have to worry about taking a huge hit selling my Nikon gear.

It sounds like the Fuji will do me well until Nikon comes up with something better and even then I think I'd sell my D200 1st.

Once again thank you for the info especially the tidbit from DWF.

8. MarkM

MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    I agree with Greg. I have to admit though that I have not shot a wedding yet (2 scheduled for Feb. 2008). I switched from the D200 to the Fuji so that I would have time to learn the camera before the paid work arrived and have no regrets.

Peace
    Mark

9. If you can afford it, keep the D200. The D200, S5 Pro combo is perfect IMO. I don't know how many in the DWF switched from Canon (even the 5D) to Fuji but the number is significant. One organization that swithced is a large Baltimore comapny specializing in weddings, they have bought five or six S5's

Canon users there are also reporting failure of L glass lenses that are newly purchased, lens begins to vibrate during focus causing blurred images. They are also reporting problems with Mark III's

10. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Greg,

Wow! Thanks for the information! I didn't realize that there was a two way migration (from Nikon and from Canon) to the Fuji S5 Pro for weddings. That's very encouraging to hear as I'm learning my S5 Pro better. It certainly did a fine job in the Brutal lighting of the one wedding that I did use it in (limited use only). It handled the bright sun on whites better than either the D200 or the D2Hs.

One clarification in your sentence: "Many there have switched from Canon To the S5 Pro because of the high ISO performance, but mainly because of the auto WB and exposure." Are you saying there are Canon shooters switching to the Fuji S5 Pro because of an improvement in the High ISO performance? I can agree with the AWB (see notes below) and the jury's still out on the exposure--but it seems good so far. Are they switching from 5D's?

I'm thinking about adding a 5D and mkIII in the future for my wedding photography so this is truly valuable information. I mainly shoot weddings...

Is the DWF the forum you need to pay $99/yr to join? How do you like it and is it worth it? If so, I'll join...

Regarding AWB on the S5, here's a valuable link to check out from a pro wedding shooter's experience with tweaking the AWB on the S5 Pro. I tried it and am finding it's perfect so far--very impressive. Here's the link: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1020&message=23542341.

Try his settings (-1, -2)--you'll like the results much better. I like it better so far than using my expodisc portrait.

Let's make this an invaluable thread and help others. :biggrin:

I'll post some samples from a wedding in this thread. The highlight retention / dynamic range of the S5 is very good.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2007
  11. Sean, I look forward to seeing your test samples.

12. Gregg, I just remembered, I tried to sign up for a 30 day temp account at the DWF and they turned be down because I wasn't a full time wedding photographer. That hasn't stopped them from sending me spam reminding me to sign up for a full account.

13. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    I think what the 5d offers is much more than the S5 offers. All the S5 offers is a slightly larger dynamic range sensor on the same body of the d200 with almost all the same features. Shutter speed is ridiculously slow, and it doesn't improve in low light. Full frame however improves in low light, allows for a good use of a 1.8 aperture since more is in focus than on a cropped sensor, and honestly who doesn't shoot at an indoor wedding without a flash? Also if you shoot outdoor weddings just bring a flash and fix the issue of having a large dynamic range by exposing for the background and shooting with the flash. IMO a 5D is in a much different(better) league than the S5 and I would not consider the S5 for its little gimmick of a dynamic range increase at least not in wedding photography. Also I heard a rumor the 12mp is interpolated and not straight from the sensor. I guess if AWB and jpeg are great for you guys then it might be the way to go, but personally I usually adjust my wb manually in camera and shoot totally in raw even for the few weddings I have done.

14. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I'm not a wedding photog but did use the S5 for the first time in a pro capacity this weekend. It was a mixed shoot with D2x and S5. It doesn't have the detail of the D2x but those extra 3 to 4 stops of DR sure do come in handy. :wink:

15. James -GA, I hear what you're saying but I have to go with the guy who photographs lots of weddings on this one.

I understand the desire to go with the system that gets you perfect jpgs straight out of the camera. Sure RAW gives you more latitude and that is great if you are only shooting a wedding once in a blue mood but if you are doing 3 to 5 weddings a week and averaging 300-500 shots then the ability to reduce the amount of post processing you do is invaluable.

As far as flash work goes I agree with you for the most part. I use always use it indoors and knocked down -2 or -3 outdoors. But if you look at the true "legends" of wedding photography (people like Mike Colon, Joe Buissink, & Joe Photo) the one thing the all share in common is they use available light as much as they can.

They guy I'm learning from wants to start using stobes at either end of the reception area, but I just bought a 85mm f/1.4 lens to try and use more available light. I think you loose some of the romance with flash, but that is just my humble opinion.

16. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Slight? There is a slight difference between D200 and 5D. The S5 has a substantial advantange when used correctly.

17. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Pictures tell the story...

Here's just a few random samples (forget about composition, etc. for this comparison): Sorry to keep you in suspense.

D2Hs:

(Deleted)

D200:

(Deleted)

S5 Pro:

173060690-L.

View attachment 108491

View attachment 108492

Sean

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2007
  18. Don't remove them yet Sean. If for no other reason than seeing the value of the dynamic range of the S5.

19. MarkM

MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    Fred,

I am just across the bay in Tampa. Let me know if you are available to get together for a little hands on with my Fuji S5. I have also shot with the D200 as well as the 30D and 5D.

To me they are all tools that have their own merits and glitches. In the end is is up to the user to decide what they want to place a priority on.

Peace
    Mark

20. MarkM

MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    Sean,

Thanks for sharing - nice pics.

Peace
    Mark