Any S5 Wedding Photographers out there?

Slight? There is a slight difference between D200 and 5D. The S5 has a substantial advantange when used correctly.
charles the 5d comment is completely wrong and the s5 makes it look like you have never used a d200. the s5 is the same camera rebadged with a different sensor and fuji firmware. canon's camera is different in every way. different body, full frame, real 12mp not interpolated(s5), better fps than s5, larger dynamic range than d200, beefier body, canon made vert grip, different lighting system, different firmware. so what you say seems really uninformed

Fred,

I am just across the bay in Tampa. Let me know if you are available to get together for a little hands on with my Fuji S5. I have also shot with the D200 as well as the 30D and 5D.

To me they are all tools that have their own merits and glitches. In the end is is up to the user to decide what they want to place a priority on.

Peace
Mark

Wow that is a nice offer Mark. I work mid shift on the Base but I'm sure we could find a decent time to get together.

charles the 5d comment is completely wrong and the s5 makes it look like you have never used a d200. the s5 is the same camera rebadged with a different sensor and fuji firmware. canon's camera is different in every way. different body, full frame, real 12mp not interpolated(s5), better fps than s5, larger dynamic range than d200, beefier body, canon made vert grip, different lighting system, different firmware. so what you say seems really uninformed

I was talking about DR, nothing else. You have been posting on several threads against the S5. That response makes it seem like you have it in for the S5.

I'm done.

I think what the 5d offers is much more than the S5 offers. All the S5 offers is a slightly larger dynamic range sensor on the same body of the d200 with almost all the same features. Shutter speed is ridiculously slow, and it doesn't improve in low light. Full frame however improves in low light, allows for a good use of a 1.8 aperture since more is in focus than on a cropped sensor, and honestly who doesn't shoot at an indoor wedding without a flash? Also if you shoot outdoor weddings just bring a flash and fix the issue of having a large dynamic range by exposing for the background and shooting with the flash. IMO a 5D is in a much different(better) league than the S5 and I would not consider the S5 for its little gimmick of a dynamic range increase at least not in wedding photography. Also I heard a rumor the 12mp is interpolated and not straight from the sensor. I guess if AWB and jpeg are great for you guys then it might be the way to go, but personally I usually adjust my wb manually in camera and shoot totally in raw even for the few weddings I have done.

Do you own an S5 Pro?
Have you used one?
Is your opinion from use of the camera?

To those of you actually took the time to read the title of this thread and answer my questions, thank you for all your informative posts and PM’s. They have helped me decide on picking up an S5 for Wedding Photography as soon as I can afford one. This being a much less expensive option than switching camps and going with Canon,

Don’t get me wrong, Canon makes some fantastic products but right now, in my particular case, switching camps is just cost prohibitive. That is why I worded my questions the way I did as I was seeking feedback from wedding photographers who actually have used the S5. All the online reviews aside, I still find the best information on a product always comes from people who actually own the item in question and have used them in situations I am interested in.

Once again, let me express my sincerest thank you.

Respectfully,

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally wasn't trying to hijack it sorry you felt that way. Just thought you should see full reviews from both sides when the majority of the people seemed to be pointing out the Pros I just wanted to point out some commonly overlooked Cons. Also if you read the above you would realize I do like the S5 camera and would be willing to use it.

I belong to the DWF, Digital Wedding Forum. Many there have switched from Canon To the S5 Pro becasue of the high ISO performance, but mainly becasue of the auto WB and exposure. JPEG straight from the camera need very little or no editing.

So do I (DWF) - I've seen a couple go to the S5 from the 5D (after a short time with the 5D) - Andy Scott from the UK and an Aussie shooter to name a couple, but I'm not sure I'd call it 'many' or 'significant'.

Lots and lots from D200's though, which isn't a huge surprise.

So do I (DWF) - I've seen a couple go to the S5 from the 5D (after a short time with the 5D) - Andy Scott from the UK and an Aussie shooter to name a couple, but I'm not sure I'd call it 'many' or 'significant'.

Lots and lots from D200's though, which isn't a huge surprise.

Maybe not a "significant number" but I had several PM's from DWF members who did switch from Canon. You're right many D200 users now use S5's

Let me revise the number from significat to several.

The biggest difference between my S5 and my D200 is the auto white balance (AWB)
With the D200 I use an expodisc to preset WB in difficult lighting like a church when shooting in natural light. I also don't like to go above ISO 800 because of noise. I do it and use Noise Ninja, but don't like it because of time involved in PP.

With the S5 Pro I use AWB and film simulation mode F1a with sharpening set to +1 for the entire day.
In natural light I can use ISO 1600 and get good results. Many of the shots require no PP at all. My time adjusting photos is reduced and my keeper rate is at an all time high.

Canon makes great products and I considered buying a 5D last fall. Now that I've used the S5 for seven weddings I'm glad I bought it.

The biggest difference between my S5 and my D200 is the auto white balance (AWB)
With the D200 I use an expodisc to preset WB in difficult lighting like a church when shooting in natural light. I also don't like to go above ISO 800 because of noise. I do it and use Noise Ninja, but don't like it because of time involved in PP.

With the S5 Pro I use AWB and film simulation mode F1a with sharpening set to +1 for the entire day.
In natural light I can use ISO 1600 and get good results. Many of the shots require no PP at all. My time adjusting photos is reduced and my keeper rate is at an all time high.

Canon makes great products and I considered buying a 5D last fall. Now that I've used the S5 for seven weddings I'm glad I bought it.

Greg,

Thanks for the info. I'm starting to get more experience with the S5 Pro and am beginning to confirm your experience. I really like the slight tweaks to the AWB that I pointed out--with them the slight 'redness' in skintones seems totally gone.

I'm note shooting as many weddings as you are at this point in my career so my second wedding with the S5 will be coming up at the end of September. I'll definitely be using the body a lot more during this wedding than I did the last. From what I can tell this will be a dimly lit wedding where I'll be shooting at ISO800 quite a bit. For that, I'll use the S5 Pro and the D2Hs.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Please keep it coming.

Sean

From what I can tell this will be a dimly lit wedding where I'll be shooting at ISO800 quite a bit. For that, I'll use the S5 Pro and the D2Hs.
Sean

The last wedding I did the bride and her father were coming down the isle when my SB-800 failed. I didn't have time to run to my bag for another one so I quickly changed to ISO 1600, f/2.8 and shot with no flash. These important shots were saved by the S5.

I have four SB-800's and never had a problem with any of them until that day. It's now at Nikon for estimate/repair.

That is the big thing for me. Basically it comes down to the fact that with the S5 you can spend less time PPing and more time taking wedding and portrait photos. That will equal more money in my pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

md0234

I have both a D200 and S5, and out of the two I prefer the S5 by quite a bit. I mostly do weddings, some portraits, executive, and occasionally other things like sport team shots. Anyway, if the S5 had come out before the D200, I don't think I would have ever bought a D200, as much as I like it, the S5 has the better skin, high ISO, easy to see improvement in DR and the WB is much better when you are leaving it on auto (which i don't do anymore with the D200).

I am actually thinking of selling the D200's now and going just with S5's. I often heard people talk about how good the JPEG's were straight out of the camera, but in all honesty I didn't really put much stock in it as I'd always shot RAW with my D200 to be safe, often due to WB. The S5 really does allow you to shoot JPEG though and rely on it, my post processing has gone way down since getting it which I just love - although I did buy the Hper-Utility software which is very slow (Intel Mac) but does do great things to the S5 raw files. For weddings/portraits, to me its an easy choice, the S5 just makes the most sense.

I have both a D200 and S5, and out of the two I prefer the S5 by quite a bit. I mostly do weddings, some portraits, executive, and occasionally other things like sport team shots. Anyway, if the S5 had come out before the D200, I don't think I would have ever bought a D200, as much as I like it, the S5 has the better skin, high ISO, easy to see improvement in DR and the WB is much better when you are leaving it on auto (which i don't do anymore with the D200).

I am actually thinking of selling the D200's now and going just with S5's. I often heard people talk about how good the JPEG's were straight out of the camera, but in all honesty I didn't really put much stock in it as I'd always shot RAW with my D200 to be safe, often due to WB. The S5 really does allow you to shoot JPEG though and rely on it, my post processing has gone way down since getting it which I just love - although I did buy the Hper-Utility software which is very slow (Intel Mac) but does do great things to the S5 raw files. For weddings/portraits, to me its an easy choice, the S5 just makes the most sense.

Hey Mark,

I am curious as to why you are considering selling the D200. I have no regrets for buying the S5, but in hind sight I wish I had kept my D200 since I did not need to sell it to fund the S5 purchase.

To me, the D200 & S5 combination is the way to go for somebody who wants to stay with the Nikon glass.

Peace
Mark

M

md0234

Mark,

I am in two minds about what to do to be honest. I really do prefer the S5 for the type of things I do and ideally your main and backup should be exactly the same. Now, I don't agree with people who say the S5 & D200 are too dissimilar and that using them both at the same time can throw you as apart from the playback, the shooting controls are all the same and rarely, if ever, do I use playback during a job.

I do really like the D200, and when I got them it made a lot of sense I think, but now I'm not so sure as if I prefer the S5 anyway and it has most of the plus points of the D200 (mainly the body which I love), then why I am keeping it?

Once in a blue moon I do use the extra fps, and it is nice to have for when its needed, but I'm not a sports shooter in the main and wildlife as well as macro are things I enjoy doing but don't get paid for, and don't get to do anyway very often these days. I suppose the D200 has a tiny bit more resolution than the S5, but I've printed 13X19 from both and they look great from both bodies and beyond that size I don't ever need (in fact, it is rare for a couple to want anything more than a 8X10 in truth). I'm not sure I will sell them, but I am thinking about it as I'm not sure I have the correct set-up for my shooting needs when considering what's available in the Nikon mount.

It may sound strange as its kind of a weird thing to focus on, but one of the reasons I have hesitated is that the wireless WT-3 doesn't work with the S5 from what I've been told. Although I don't have it yet, I have been thinking about getting it for the last few months and having an assistant feed some of the shots as I'm shooting at the wedding pop up on the display as many more places have LCD/plasma's around now. Not a necessary, and something I hadn't even considered until recently, but now I've thought about it, I would like to try it out - which wouldn't be an option with the S5. Decisions, decisions... nice to have such good choices though

Latest threads

Top Bottom