Any suggestions...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShaunK, Aug 7, 2007.

1. on how I practice handholding at slower shutter speeds? I have my first wedding at the end of the month, and I am a little nervous about the low-light shots... esp. because, for my D70s to get OK high ISO shots, I need perfect exposure, which generally means slower speeds. Anyone have any specific exercises to go about doing this? Or is it just practice, practice...?

2. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    better high iso than slow shutter IMO. You can always clean up post process with noise ninja or similar. Expose to the right and practice practice practice! Good luck and post some shots

3. You might try a monopod.

4. True that, but I am worried it's going to be both high ISO and slow shutter. Church wedding, little to no flash, 7 p.m.!

I'd thought of that, but my budget for the wedding is already shot! I'll look into it, though.

5. A cheap monopod will work almost as well as an expensive one. With some practice you can probably pick up an f stop of shutter speed.

Your 50/f1.4 is your best friend and gives you two more stops over your next fastest lens. It's amazing what a fast prime can do.

Your 70-200 VR will likely give you sharp images, but those darn subjects won't stand still all the time so subject motion can still be a problem. Take lots of shots. The 70-200 will also get heavy during the course of the night, so the monopod will help take the weight off.

In my church f2.8 at night is a stop too slow. I got my 70-200 VR for church work and it was almost, but not quite fast enough. F2 works, f1.4 is better.

6. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    If you get the chance to have little flash, then USE IT. Explain to the bride and groom that if they want the best quality, then you need to use your flash. But the one thing you don't want is SLOW SHUTTER SPEEDS. I'll take underexposed grainy pictures b4 I accept a blurry picture, whether it be motion blur or your unsteady hand blur.

You only need 1 picture from the ceremony anyway, and thats kiss. Thats the only shot that really matters. If you get the chance, the reactions on the faces of people in the audience.

7. whyhan

whyhan

Jun 14, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    If no flash allowed, do practice your breathing technique as well.
    Take a deep breath, exhale half way..... click. Does make a difference :wink:

8. Thanks for the advice. I will see if the 50 will work when I go shoot at the rehearsal for practice. Sounds like I'll also be looking for a monopd! :rolleyes: sigh! It never ends!!!

I have explained that flash is better, so maybe... Since it's a religious ceremony, there'll be more than the kiss shot... there's a unity candle lighting, and the exchange of vows and rings to name just a few more.

Ahh, kind of like range shooting! I can do that. Never thought about it related to photography! :wink:

9. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

:eek:You might check with the pastor or whatever. Generally when they prohibit flash during the ceremony they do allow you to use flash until the bride is given away and then when they are pronounced husband and wife. As has been mentioned, you need to explain to the B&G that flash is better but you have to follow the rules and not use flash so expect some orange/yellow images and that you can stage whatever you/they deem necessary. If it were me I would use a tripod and cable realease for the ceremony. There really isn't a lot of motion once they are at the alter. Open your lens to satisfy your DOF and use the slow shutterspeed that will do the job. Just my thoughts. www.bsvirginian.smugmug.com:cool:

10. You can go pretty low if you apply some basic shooting techniques:

- SQUEEEEEZE the shutter release (vs. a push)
    - As mentioned above, shoot during a relaxed exhale
    - Find something you can put your camera on (bench, table, chair back etc.)
    - Rest your arms against your body (vs. floating elbows)
    - Find something you can lean your body against against

11. Thanks for that reminder, Bob. I'll ask the minister when he returns. Fortunately for me, this wedding takes place at the church I attend, among friends, and I am a close friend to the officiant... maybe I can talk him into it! :wink:

Sounds like I just apply some gun-shooting techniques here! I've already tried a little, and feel more confident having just practiced a little. I think it's going to boil down to me remembering to be aware of it!

12. cuttooth

cuttooth Guest

if you have a place that you can rent a 85mm 1.4 i would for sure do that. at my local shop it is about $25/day.