1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Any Team and Individual (Memory Mate) Shooters Out There?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by actionshooter, Aug 10, 2009.

1. actionshooter

actionshooter

Aug 26, 2008
    NY
    How many of you do the whole memory mate type of team and individual pictures? What I'm looking for is what setup you use for indoors (gyms) type of shots. Last year I actually brought in my two AB800, stands, umbrellas, etc. They seems like any awful lot of work so I'm wondering if I can get by with either one onboard flash (on bracket) or perhaps two SB-900s on stands with umbrellas.

2. It can be done with on camera flash, but I'd prefer at least 2 SBs on stands with umbrellas. All depends on what you are looking to get for an image. You can also get away with just on AB800 on a stand.

Do you have a background? Or do you use whats available?

3. actionshooter

actionshooter

Aug 26, 2008
    NY
    I do have a couple of 10x20 backdrops, but it would take too much time to setup in a gym. Usually the teams want say the volleyball net in the background or the basket (for basketball) or the mascot graphic on the floor. The only problems with the ABs is the setup time. Usually I have about 15-20 minutes in the beginning of a team's practice to get all of the team and individuals done. If there is a team in the gym before their practice, this leaves very little time to drag out extension cords, stands, etc, get the metering done and get in and out. This is where I was thinking maybe I could get away with the speedlights as at least it would save me a little setup time and could use CLS to get things metered a little quicker. One of my local competitors just using an onboard flash (on bracket) for everything (teams and individuals).

4. Thats a little different than the T&I days I am used to, 5-8 hour days a team every 15 minutes. So we use what we have available depending on if we are inside or outside.

In your circumstances as I also do those, with it its best to use a couple of SB's as time is important to the coaches. I normally use just a flash bracket with flash as I am normally running from area to area as we schedule all HS teams on the same day in their respective areas of play.

5. I recently shot some individuals using a few SB flash units and a Botero backdrop. CLICK HERE to view some photos.

The Botero is 5'x7', but folds up small for portability. It's great for individual shots. I used a seamless paper backdrop for some of the shots as well.

The SB flash units were set for TTL--which made exposures quick and easy.

Main Light: SB-900 shot through Softliter II (usually camera left)

Fill Light: SB-800 shot through white umbrella (usually just right of camera and positioned low to remove cap shadows)

Backlight: SB-600 positioned to face backdrop (gels provided the background colors)

I hope this helps...
    Glenn

6. actionshooter

actionshooter

Aug 26, 2008
    NY
    I've done a few leagues where it is an all day, setup and they come to you, type of approach. My local school leaves it up to the coaches when they want to schedule their pictures. Some will do them before a practice while others will do them before a game. Regardless is always a "hurry up" situation as far as the coaches go. I mainly need to play around a bit as I'm not sure if I can do justice to team of say 14 plus a couple of coaches with just one on-bracket SB-900. Individuals would be fine I think with one flash.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.