Any updates on D200

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JerseyJay, Mar 10, 2005.

1. I know this topic was covered soooo many times on DPR but I'm just curious if anyone here has any updates. As of last "legit" topic we all have heard .... "by the end of May".

I have my $$$ ready but I'm still working on my patience.

Anyone :?:

2. It will come out when Nikon says it will. Sad, but true!

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Sorry, Jonathan, but it will come out about 2-3 months AFTER Nikon says it will. They don't have a good track record releasing DSLRs. I would expect an announcement in May, actual deliveries in the late fall, early winter, maybe early next year. The D50 is first in line.......

4. TOF guy

TOF guy

Mar 11, 2005
    You would only hear rumors either here or on dpr.

People have noticed that Nikon trademark the name for its new cameras at least 6 months in advance. For instance, Nikon applied for the "D70" name in 8/03, and the camera was officially announced in 2/04 (and available in stores ~ 2 months later). IMO this is the best source of information to guess what Nikon is preparing, even if it is not absolutely reliable: nothing prevents Nikon to apply for a trademark a very short time before selling the product with that name, or ... never sell the product.

Based on this information, Nikon has applied for the "D50" name a month ago. It is a reasonable guess that Nikon will officially announce this camera at the next PMA (in September). Apart from the D50, there is no name fit for a dSLR (D200 D90 ...) for which Nikon has made a request, and which has not been released yet. Therefore it is very possible that Nikon will not introduce the D100's successor in the next 6 months.

These are just guesses, as educated as they are, of course.

Thierry

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Thierry,

Welcome to the Cafe. As you have probably already seen, we are a friendly bunch here. We enjoy spirited discussions, but in the end, we are a big family.

Looking forward to your posts.

Regards,

Frank

6. TOF guy

TOF guy

Mar 11, 2005
    Frank

Thank you for your warm welcome :p !

Thierry