Any Z7 owners add a Z6?

Real Name
Steve
I love my X-Pro2, not so much the X-H1. I’m thinking of selling it to fund a Z6 for the better low light capability. Anyone have both and can attest to it being a good workable difference?

Real Name
Ian
As MNglass said, if all you’re looking for is better noise performance, why not export your Z7 files at 24MP?

At 12,800, the Z6 is a bit better. But is it so much better that it justifies buying a new camera body? Only you can answer that.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Steve
Yep, it is purely a DR consideration, though I wouldn’t mind a second Nikon body. A D500 is also a consideration since I use the 200-500 in the field. I just shoot DX crop on Z7 now if I want that magnification in EVF, or crop in post.

Real Name
Ian
Yep, it is purely a DR consideration, though I wouldn’t mind a second Nikon body. A D500 is also a consideration since I use the 200-500 in the field. I just shoot DX crop on Z7 now if I want that magnification in EVF, or crop in post.
If high ISO noise is a concern, the Z6 will beat the D500 handily. But if you're using the camera for sports shooting, the D500 (or a D850) have an advantage in their OVF and burst rate. While the Z6 can shoot sports (the AF is up to the task), my biggest grip with it is the EVF blackout, which can make following the action difficult if you're shooting a long sequence. The benefit of the D850 over the D500 is that you can take those 46MP images, and resize them upon export to give you a better noise pattern.

It really comes down to what the primary use of the camera will be

Real Name
Ian
Slightly more difference when comparing RAW images.
Sure there is. Is there enough of a difference to justify buying a new camera? Only the OP can answer that.

FWIW, the Z7 file is also slightly sharper than the Z6 file when resized as well. Slightly sharper, slightly more noise. You could run the Z7 file with a bit more noise reduction (thanks to the better sharpness), and achieve some pretty favorable results.

Is it possible to shoot mRaw and get smaller files while getting better noise performance? Unless you're shooting landscape, I don't see the need for 14-bit uncompressed raws if you plan on shooting action.

Real Name
Steve
Really just looking for an excuse obviously, but more shadow detail with an 85/1.8S in portraits for example might be nice. I really have no complaints now with Z7, looking more for a good differentiator for a second Nikon body, don't need two Fujis.

Real Name
Andy
Early this year, I decided to buy a Z6 and ended up buying both a used Z7 and a new Z6. After a couple months, I sold the Z7 for many reasons, but the short version is that the Z7 was simply more camera than I needed. In my limited comparison testing of high ISO performance between the Z6 and Z7, I did find the Z6 outperforms. Definitely not scientific enough to make a buy/no-buy decision, but take a look if you're interested:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/z7-and-z6-for-astrophotography.315352/

Early this year, I decided to buy a Z6 and ended up buying both a used Z7 and a new Z6. After a couple months, I sold the Z7 for many reasons, but the short version is that the Z7 was simply more camera than I needed. In my limited comparison testing of high ISO performance between the Z6 and Z7, I did find the Z6 outperforms. Definitely not scientific enough to make a buy/no-buy decision, but take a look if you're interested:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/z7-and-z6-for-astrophotography.315352/
That's an interesting comparison which I hadn't seen. Bill Claff's data does show the Z6 to be about 1/2 stop better at iso 3200 as shown below, but I really didn't think that would be field relevant.

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 10.34.32 AM.png

Last edited:
Real Name
Steve
As an update of sorts. A shiny new Z50 will be delivered today. A dedicated APS-C body. Nice to sling over a shoulder to make the 70-300P relevant in the field when my 200-500 is mounted to the Z7. I'll probably still just switch to DX mode, but we'll see...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom