Anybody attended any of the Nikon Schools?

There are a couple coming my way next month. I'm wondering if anyone has gone to them and are they worth the time and money?

They are charging $119 and $159. If you've gone, if you could give me a brief rundown on what you got out of it that would be great.

Thanks.

It's worth it Chris. I went to two of them in New York. The one class I attended had Joe McNally as the instructor, he had a pretty cool slide show of his pictures and an explanation on how he took the shots. Q and A, in lobby Nikon had all their equipment on display. You'll receive a 162 page handbook "Nikon School of Photography". Go...you'll learn something new!

Anthony

I've been to one and really enjoyed it! It was especially for D50 owners. They had tons of Nikon toys to play with, several photographers and reps there to talk to and ask questions. I learned a lot and highly recommend them! We all went home with freebies too!

Wow, sounds like you guys {and gals :)} had a couple of great classes.

I was extremely disappointed with the seminar I went to. The instructors spent a lot of time bragging about how good they were, hob nobbing with the rich and famous, and spent way too little time actually doing any instruction. I picked up a couple of things, but my time and money would have been better spent on a book or video instruction set.

I have to agree with Phecksel. Except for the odd tidbit of info, I found the one I went to here in Chicago to be amateurish and disappointing.

Both instructors spent far too much time ego-tripping with their images, but not discussing much in the way of technique, composition, etc.

Wow, such a difference in experiences. . . that's kind of surprising. Well, I think I may scratch together money for at least one of the classes. At least I won't have to wonder what I may have missed.

I new to the Digital thing so I'm at the beginning of the learning curve and can benefit from pretty much any instruction. If I go, I'll let you know whether I got a good one or not.

Thanks for your time everyone.

Chris,

I posted my thoughts about Nikon school here in late 2005. The current courses have the same titles as the ones I took, but the content and organization may have been tweaked.

Dave,

Great info!! Thanks for pointing me toward your old posts. In just reading the course descriptions on Nikon's site, I was already coming to the conclusions you posted (i.e., the first class is probably not something I'm going to get enough benefit from to justify $120).

The digital workflow class is the one that caught my eye. It sounds like I'm at about the same skill/knowledge level now as you were when you went to those classes in '05.

Thanks again, very helpful.

I went to the two school in Dallas last year. I was new to digital even though I had been in photography for 30 years. I found the schools interesting. Once you get passed the basic camera stuff, the digital info was informative to a newbie. The best part for me was to be able to ask questions at the breaks that were important to me. I would show up with any questions you might have even basic stuff and I think just getting pro answers to your problems will be worth the admission.

Wow, such a difference in experiences. . . that's kind of surprising. Well, I think I may scratch together money for at least one of the classes. At least I won't have to wonder what I may have missed.

I new to the Digital thing so I'm at the beginning of the learning curve and can benefit from pretty much any instruction. If I go, I'll let you know whether I got a good one or not.

Thanks for your time everyone.

IMHO, take some pictures, post them here (and elsewhere) get some feedback and apply the knowledge gained. Learn from other's request from help. Take on new and challenging subjects. Get a couple of books in the weak areas. Save the money on the course. I'm not kidding when I say literally 30% of seminar, was bragging about their own photographs. To be fair, I learned more about NX U-Point technology capability, and saw how effective multiple flash units can be to flash photography.

Latest threads

Top Bottom