Anybody been to Cabo?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JeffKohn, Jan 4, 2006.

1. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    (I originally posed this in "Places to shoot" but it looks like traffic in that forum is practically non-existent so I thought I'd cross-post this here, my apologies if anyone is annoyed).

Since we didn't get to take our Grand Teton/Yellowstone trip last fall due to Hurricane Rita, we've decided to take a winter trip somewhere. It's my wife's turn to choose and she wanted somewhere warm/tropical so I think we're going to go to Cabo. Has anybody been? We'll probably be there for 5 days/4 nights. I'm leaning towards staying at one of the hotels right on Land's End since it seems like a convenient location and should offer good sunrise/sunset shooting opportunities.

If anybody has any tips on photo hotspots, photographer-friendly excursions, etc I'd love to hear them. Also more general info about Cabo would be welcome since we've never been there. I figure we'll probably want to go snorkling and sea-kayaking, and maybe an ATV excursion into the desert. Is it worth getting a rental car and exploring further out, or would it be better/easier/safer to just stick close to Cabo San Lucas with the occasional taxi ride to San Jose del Cabo?

We're planning to go in late February so I'm probably going to be booking the trip pretty soon. Any tips on places to stay/eat (or avoid) would be welcome; right now I'm considering Solmar Suites as the place to stay.

2. Hi Jeff,

We have been to Cabo twice, but only spent maybe three hours there each time, so we can't really answer your questions.
    This might be really off base, but you might want to consider a small ship-based trip like we did. Your right in the middle of the Grey Whale mating and birthing in Magdalena Bay, but that is a long way north of where you are.

We traveled with Lindblad Expeditions on their Among the Great Whales trip on the 60 passenger Sea Lion:
    http://www.expeditions.com/expeditions/expeditions.asp?action=eh&expedition_id=273
    We did this trip in 1992 and again in 1997 and want to go again!
    Here is a Grey Whale from 1992 taken from a zodiac with the whale about 15 feet away coming straight at us:
    Nikon film P&S about 55mm lens:
    [​IMG]
    Close by another zodiac:
    23038572-L.

More photos from both trips are here:
    http://bob-nan.smugmug.com/gallery/529641/1

Hope this gives you some ideas... if you have questions be sure to ask.
    Bob & Nan

3. I'd be interested in any info too. I won a trip to Cabo and will be there the end of March.

4. Nice Hotels:

Finisterra, right at the top of the ridge, gorgeous view out over the Gulf and the Pacific
    The other, I think, is the Sol or Solamar, it is right on the beach below the Finisterra

Things to do:
    Go to the Giggling Marlin. Get your picture taken drinking an Upside Down Margarita. They hang you up like a Marlin, and pour it down your throat :biggrin:

I've always gone there to fish, not to photograph, but the whole costal area there is amazingly gorgeous.

You might want to check with some members from the San Diego area, they could perhaps give you a link to one of the better photography shops in the area who might have specific info on photo things to do.

Cabo is a pretty safe and friendly place to go, but just like anywhere else, don't make yourself a target and treat it like any other city out of the US.

Oh, yeah, seafood, incredible. Whatever you may think of Mexican food in the US, until you go there, you don't know what "Good" is. And, if they tell you that a particular salsa is "not for Gringoes", believe them and go easy, no matter how tough you think you are :wink:

5. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    My wife and I went to Cabo a couple of years ago. We stayed at the Fiesta Americana hotel, which I thought was rather nice. We went to San Jose' one day, and actually felt comfortable walking around town.
    We didn't snorkle, but did an ATV tour. (4 wheelers). Very nice, good photo ops, particulary along the beach. We toured the beach where the movie "TROY" was filmed. This particular tour should be limited to experienced ATV riders. One lady flipped her's over, and broke her collarbone.
    San Jose' is an older town, not as busy as San Lucas. Has a very old church, and some nice photo ops there.
    We only got to stay 2 days/3 nights, but very beautiful. Photo ops abound, but not sure about any specific photography excursions.

6. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I was there in September for 5 days. Can't rememebr the name of the resort but it was on the water.

ATV trip I took was the most fun I have had in about 35 years - course I almost broke my jaw and arm when I took a jump that was way to high - way to fast!

Cabos is a picture laden town. Some photo opportunities exist as in all places. I always felt safe walking around - but I wasn't carrying my camera.

If you are a qualified scuba diver, the underater world is great there. The otters/seals will come right up to your face. They also saw a manta ray the day I was there.

In short - I had a great time in Cabos and would consider returning again.

7. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I've never been, but as far as things to do....I've heard that the Cabo Wabo Cantina is a cool place to visit. It's owned by Sammy Hagar and is where you can purchase Cabo Wabo Tequila (Sammy's own personal brand of Tequila). This is on my list of places to visit (and tequilas to purchase).
    Can't wait to see the photos you get...have fun!

8. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks very much to everybody for all the feedback and suggestions. Sounds like we should be in for a lot of fun. I think we're going to spend 5 nights there, which should give us plenty of time for activities. I've heard rave reviews about the ATV tours from several sources so that's definitely at the top of the list, along with sea-kayaking, jet-skiing, and snorkling. I'm keeping track of the suggestions for specific places to eat/drink/etc in a OneNote file so I really appreciate it (I'm nothing if not organized when it comes to trip planning. :smile:)

Have you stayed at either of these? Solmar Suites is actually the place I'm probably going to book, user reviews on places like Expedia were uniformly good and it looks like an excellent location. Finisterra is a little bit more expensive, and some feedback indicated that the older (less expensive) wing isn't in great shape.

Leigh, I know about the Cabo Wabo and we'll definitely be stopping by there. That's also happens to be one of my favorite Hagar-era VH songs.:cool:

9. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I'm like you, I have a very organized style of travel...I just about plan to each meal where I want to eat when I travel!

Drink a shot of Cabo for me when you get there!

Be safe and have fun!

10. Jeff, we have stayed at the Finisterra, it is a grand place, and the view is spectacular. If the Solmar Suites is the place I am thinking about it is right on the beach and built into the cliff. Some of the rooms actually have their showers built right into the cliff. Advantage of the Finisterra is that it is higher up and you can see sunrise and sunset over both the Gulf and Pacific. Advantage of the Solmar is that you are right on the beach. Both gorgeous places. We were there quite some time ago, in fact the Solmar was pretty new at the time.

Don't wussy out on us now, I want to see that Giggling Marlin picture :biggrin:

You do like Seafood don't you??????

11. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    LOL, as a matter of fact I can't stand tequila and hate seafood. I'm a pretty picky eater in fact so that's the one aspect of the trip that has me a bit worried; I'll probably subsist on tacos, hamburgers, and power-bar's while we're down there. My wife on the other hand loves seafood and enjoys a good margarita, so she'll be right at home.

Thanks again for the info.

12. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Free advice...
    Stay away from the "Chicken in Mole Sauce"! I thought that was just a clever name, didn't think it was *literal*. After I tasted it...:Sick:

The placed I stayed had an excellent breakfast buffett, and good hamburgers.:smile:

13. SACRILEGE, yee Philistine of the Culinary Arts :biggrin:

Mole sauce, chocolate based, wonderful stuff. "Good Hamburgers", sheesh, you guys are as bad as my older daughter for crying out loud..........:tongue: :rolleyes:

Now, to be fair, I do stay away from the Menudo........:wink:

Jeff, never fear, there is plenty of variety in food, and if YOU can't deal with the Upside Down Margirata get us a picture of your better half :smile:

Oh, yeah, one last warning. If you don't plan to buy something, DO NOT get into a "haggle session" with a street vendor. Guaranteed, you will not win :biggrin:

14. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Jeff,
    We went to Cabo for a whole week but stayed with friends who live in the Pedregal. I really can't remember much about where we went because they took us to their favorite places and I don't know names etc.

However, if you want I could get them to give me a bunch of names of hotels and places to visit. they live there every winter for 6 months so they know it very well.

I know they do the ATV ride every season and that's the highlight of their stay. They don't know Spanish so they pretty much stay in the Cabo city area.

When I was there I didn't have my photography interest so got only point and shoot pictures. But now would take pictures everywhere. It's quite a place and you should enjoy everything about it.

Just let me know and I'll get information from them. I am in contact often so it's no trouble and I know they'd like to help you with ideas,

Gaye

15. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Chocolate based? What they have chocolate moles down there?:biggrin:

As far as haggling, I was advised that one could get a better deal in San Jose'
    an older town, lot less tourists there. We got some better prices haggling in the stores. But didn't see many street vendors. Didn't try in San Lucas, so don't know if store vendors will do any haggling there. We got some nice stuff in San Jose. (silver, panchos,..souvinier type stuff, but authentic)
    We bought souvineirs in the Cayman Islands that were "made in Taiwain", "made in Japan" and so forth.:biggrin:

16. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Gaye,

Thanks for the kind offer. I think we've pretty much decided where to stay, but I'd love to hear any recommdations they have for places to eat, etc. Also if there's an outfitter they recommend for the ATV tour or other excursions (then one I've come across on the web is called Baja Wild).

Thanks,

17. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Jeff,

I copied and pasted your reply and sent it to my friend in CABO..I will be hearing soon and will let you know.

Gaye

18. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Paul, thanks for the link to the pictures. Now I'm getting excited, the hard part is going to be waiting for the end of February to get here...