Anybody Been to Hearst Castle?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by goodquest, Jul 16, 2007.

1. I’m planning to visit Hearst Castle and would like suggestions on what lens to bring. I know there is no flash allowed inside the castle and they don’t allow big camera bags, so I think I’m limited to 3 lens.

2. aldirtfarmer

aldirtfarmer

May 2, 2006
    Aiken, SC
    I visited there about 6 years ago in the pre digitial days. I carried a 28-70 and 70 to 200.

I did take a number of indoor shots- no flash- at iso 800 and they turned out ok. I would recommend as wide as you have available. Many of the indoor shots will want more than 17mm with the APS sensor.

I don't recall needing anything on the long end and could have left the 200mm in the car.

Unless it has changed the tour is guided but I lagged behind the group and took shots after everyone had left a room or area. The tour guide was nice and did not push me along to fast as long as I worked quickly and caught up to the group at the next stop.

3. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    bring some fast prime lenses! i have a number of pictures from when i visited hearst castle, but back then i knew very little about photography and the pictures did not come out too well.

4. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Was there probably 15 years ago before I even knew what a camera was, LOL! :biggrin:

You'll definitely want a wide angle lens, and practice hand holding shots to 1/10 s or 1/5s or whatever you can get away with. If not a wide angle, then a mid-zoom at 17-18mm with or without VR, f/2.8 or not, will probably do pretty darn good also, but you'll want wider for sure.

5. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    yes, a fast wide angle prime. like a 30/1.4 or 35/2. also bring your slow but versatile 18-200 since it has VR.

6. TVayos

TVayos Guest

If I remember correctly Big Sur was on the way to the castle. I would bring a wide angle lens and a circular polarizer for the amazing views along the road.

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

a 12-24 f4 would be dandy ..u would be surprised how slow ss u can get away with shooting @12mm

8. It seems I need something wider that 17. So my only choice seems to be A 12-24 F4 and increase the iso. Well its off to the for sale forum.

9. I don't know about that... I was there 5 years ago with my wife, and we took several of the tours... I remember it being very dark, that's for sure, so VR/wide aperture would be nice, but about that super-wide... If I recall, most of the rooms other than the guest cottages are VERY spacious and large, and where you are allowed to walk in the rooms is a good number of feet from most of the "stuff" (statues, paintings, tapestries, etc.). Plus, if you do any of the outside tours and want to take pics of the outside of the building, lots of the building's details and woodworking is way up high. I had a P&S at the time with about 38-380 zoom range, and I found myself wanting more rather than less most of the time... of course, you know you really want that 12-24, so now's your chance! :biggrin: Honestly, I think a 17-55 would work awesomely!

10. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    I toured the Hearst mansion several years ago. Personally, I didn't find the interior all that appealing to shoot, especially without flash and a tripod. Handholding even the fastest lens is a very iffy proposition, because the light levels are so low, shutters speeds are in the single digits, even at high ISO's.

OTOH, the exterior shots can be spectacular, especially if you shoot on your way up the coast highway, which is a treat in itself. You will need a wide-angle and a telephoto (I had the 12-24, 28-70, and 70-200 with me), wide angle for the landscapes, and telephoto for the detail both landscape and architectural.

If you can, go later in the day, so that you can be on the coast highway at sunset.

11. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    no, it can be done because i've tried it. a f1.4 can do any worthy scene at 1/15 or faster at ISO800