Anybody bought from HKSupplies.com?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JeffKohn, Jul 27, 2005.

1. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Hi all,

Have been considering the 85/1.4, partly for low-light concert photography, and also as a portrait/candid lens for times when I don't want to carry around the 70-200VR. Nobody seems to have it in stock though, and the few auctions I've watched on Ebay have gotten pretty high IMHO. I noticed HKSupplies.com was selling new copies on EBay with a buy-it-now price of ~ $980 US shipped (listing is in GBP). Interestingly, if you go to their website the lens is listed for $855 US with free shipping.

Has anybody done business with these guys before? I did some searching on DPR and it seems like people from Australia and other countries with really high local prices have used them and didn't seem to have any complaints.

I realize this is going to be a gray market lens with no US warranty/service. They do offer a 1 yr warranty themselves though, and I figure a prime lens with mechanical AF is relatively low-risk (compared to something like an AF-S/VR zoom). Worst case, it's DOA or somehow flawed on arrival and I have to send it back for replacement, but even with possible extra shipping charges it seems like a better deal than buying used on Ebay. Besides, if I buy used from EBay I still won't have US warranty. So am I crazy for considering this route?

2. caero

caero Guest

Funny that you ask. Just now I have been looking to get a Gitzo tripod from them. So I would also like to know if anyone have had any good or bad experiences with them.