Anybody get the Speed Booster/Lens Turbo for the NEX?

I know this may sound crazy, but I've been tempted to get the NEX-6 , lens turbo and a set of nice Nikon AIS glass (28 f2.8 AIS, 50 AIS and 105 2.5 AIS) for a portable full frame setup! I know I'd forgo AF, but to have a small FX kit sounds really tempting with my most favorite MF glass ever. Has anyone picked up a speed booster/lens turbo adapter yet?

I do have Ai/Ais lens kit and I use it with my NEX3 and my D700. It is much lighter than normal AF/AFS kit for D700 and you can take more lenses with you. I use simple adapter with my NEX3, and I do want to buy speed booster as soon as it will be available.
So far, I believe none are available for shipping in F mount. You can buy one for Canon and add Canon/Nikon adapter to it. You will lose AF, but it will work. I read some review about this combo on the net.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do have Ai/Ais lens kit and I use it with my NEX3 and my D700. It is much lighter than normal AF/AFS kit for D700 and you can take more lenses with you. I use simple adapter with my NEX3, and I do want to buy speed booster as soon as it will be available.
So far, I believe none are available for shipping in F mount. You can buy one for Canon and add Canon/Nikon adapter to it. You will lose AF, but it will work. I read some review about this combo on the net.
The knock-off seems to be available for under $200. Looks like a cheap way to get full frame to me!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Focal-Reducer-Speed-Booster-adapter-Lens-Turbo-Nikon-F-AI-AIS-to-Sony-NEX-5N-6-7-/171043922750?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item27d303233e

Last edited by a moderator:
There are few knock-offs available on the net, but they don't ship to the US so far. (There are probably some legal issues involved.) I don;t know what IQ knock-offs will give you. I would rather buy something good one time, even if I have to wait for it. For now I just recalculate FL from FX to DX. I use my Nikon 24 f2.0 Ais and my Tokina 17 f3.5 for wide end. If I decide to go just with mirrorless I would probably get Rokinon 14 f2.8 for wide wide end. When good quality speed booster become available, it will make my kit even better in speed and "wideness".

I will probably get a speedbooster once one comes out for F-mount. I've seen some images from the knock-offs, and they are really not that great, to the point I'd rather use a dumb adapter with no optics and cropped field of view. I think the speedbooster is a great tool for people who already have some small manual focus DSLR lenses like you listed. I'd use it for my CV lenses, and possibly for the ZF lenses though I'm not sure how well they'd handle. Hopefully they are mechanically well-made. It will be interesting to see how it does on the next NEX that comes out with a high mp sensor and no AA filter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will probably get a speedbooster once one comes out for F-mount. I've seen some images from the knock-offs, and they are really not that great, to the point I'd rather use a dumb adapter with no optics and cropped field of view. I think the speedbooster is a great tool for people who already have some small manual focus DSLR lenses like you listed. I'd use it for my CV lenses, and possibly for the ZF lenses though I'm not sure how well they'd handle. Hopefully they are mechanically well-made. It will be interesting to see how it does on the next NEX that comes out with a high mp sensor and no AA filter.
The Metabones Speedbooster seems to be the one to get if you want quality. I've seen samples of the knock-offs and they don't get sharp until f/2-2.8. After careful thought, I think I may pass on whole Speedbooster/Lens Turbo idea! Seems like a lot of work when I can just use my Nikons! :wink:

I will wait for real thing too. I wonder if there is some legal resistance from Nikon or Sony is going on. It seems that nobody ships any of the speed boosters in F mount in the US. I really wish that when F mount booster is finally out it would support G lenses and VR function at least. AF would be almost too much to hope for.

I will wait for real thing too. I wonder if there is some legal resistance from Nikon or Sony is going on. It seems that nobody ships any of the speed boosters in F mount in the US. I really wish that when F mount booster is finally out it would support G lenses and VR function at least. AF would be almost too much to hope for.
I think a lot of people using these have lenses of various mounts and use the Canon model with some extra dumb adapters for their longer reg distance lenses from Nikon, Oly, etc. I only have F-mount SLR lenses and will wait it out. Maybe it's a demand and production issue, for the Speedbooster at least. I haven't heard of the F-mount version being available anywhere.

All kind of mounts are out, but not F mount, not even in all manual Ai/Ais format. No one ships any speed boosters (or what ever they call it) in F mount in US. I bet that lawyers are involved in that one! For some reason Nikon USA protecting it's market. May be they think that D600 sales will drop if there is a way to go FX with NEX and an adapter?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom