Anybody have their AF screw go bad?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by twig, Dec 16, 2005.

1. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    MY d2Hs (in the middle of boxing) decided to stop focusing with my 50/1.4 AF-D lens

It will work with AF-S lenses , but with an AF lens, when you try to focus on anythign it rolls to infinity and will not fire (another words it knows it is out of focus at least, and will not take a shot on S mode) It will of course take the shot in C or M mode

My lens worked fine on another camera body btw.

Obviously I am going to call Nikon and send it in tomorrow, but if anyone has any suggestions on additional things I Can do to troubleshoot, or wants to console me by telling me they had a similar problem once, please do.

2. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    well, this AM The whole camera is DOA, so I guess the AF was only a precursor of things to come.
    BAck to Nikon with it.

3. Oh twig so sorry to hear about your camera dying. Now you will have to send it in and your lens. Let us know how it all turns out.

4. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Sorry to hear you're screwed.

5. markccm

markccm

Dec 13, 2005
    Singapore
    i had this prob on my Hs b4.

its something to do with one of the boards on the camera.
    the lens is fine.

it will take about 3weeks for the camera to be repaired.

your lenses are fine.
    this problem causes AF-D lenses to focus only at infinity.
    AF-S lenses still work.

6. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    My lenses are fine, it is the camera for sure, going into nikon now. Serves me right for not getting my NPS straighteneout out first,, will probalby take them forever to fix over the holidays.

7. markccm

markccm

Dec 13, 2005
    Singapore
    does your mirror lock up once the metering goes off?
    usually this problem happens hand in hand with the AF-D lens problem.

8. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    The morning after I posted about ht4e AF screw going to infinity, the camera is totally DOA, it will not turn on, there is no LCD readout, nothing, dead like a brick.

Incidentally, I saw no benefit form upgrading the firmware last month in AF performance, if anything it likes to grab high contrast backgrounds instead of my intended subject even MORE.

Here's to hoping the repaired camera works better in all regards!