Anybody know the current skinny on the Grt Smky Mtns?

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by PhilY, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Back in the day, I *think* I remember planning trips there during the last week of April or the first week of May to catch the peak of the wildflowers and the dogwoods. It's been several years since my last trip so I could be thinking about a different area. I'm considering a Spring trip for a little flora and fauna fix.

Gatlinburg still the place to stay or are there just too many people now? I have burned a LOT of film in and around the Smokes in the past and I think it's time to do a little digital.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Phil

2. Hey Phil -

Can't confirm the timing right now, but if you your plans get a bit more formal let me know -- I'm not too far from the area and need very little excuse to drive to the mountains. The Smokies are one of my favorite "places" to visit, but I haven't been able to get there as much as I'd like since picking up this photography habit.

3. That would be fantastic, David! Having a common interest, I think it would be great fun to meet up in a place having as many photo ops as the Smokies. Having done a little research since my post, it would appear I have the timing about right.

http://www.smokiesguide.com/wildflowers/index.html

Now, getting things coordinated with my family is another matter. My wife is checking with her company to see what time is available for her to take off during that period and my daughter is away at med school but will be off for Spring break right around there. She and a couple of her buds have a tentative trip to Rome planned so I may not have to work around her schedule. If I were to leave while she was home, I would be the dog of the month. :lol:

It has been more than ten years since my last visit -- probably closer to twenty in reality -- so I know most everything is totally different. That's why I'm trying to get a little more local info as to timing and place. At this point, I'm planning only a 1 week trip -- may not be enough time. The TN side tends to have more color during the Spring because it's wetter on that side but I would also like to spend a little time on the NC side. I have some great images made on past trips around Fontana and up the Blue Ridge around Maggie Valley. I may not be as energetic as in the past -- I don't think I'll be humping 20lbs of gear 15 miles just to shoot one waterfall -- but there are planty of places I want to revisit, i.e. Cades Cove and the drive alnog the river to get there, The Chimneys area, Porter's Creek -- just to name a few. Oh, man -- I'm excited already. hehheh

I'll be sure to let you know if/when this thing comes to fruition. I think it would be great fun to meet up for a shoot -- if nothing else for a day or weekend depending on your schedule.

Phil

4. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Glad I checked in here. I was wondering about shooting in April. I've been invited to spend a few days around the Bryson City area which is on the other side of the mountain (movie?) about directly South from Gatlinburg. Friend and his wife live right at the edge of the Sm Mt park and they selected April as the month for me to do photographs. I plan on using one day to spend on an all day steam train trip just for getting photos. Won't be long before we work out the actual dates but it sounds like last part of April will be best. Would be nice to have the D2X by then but we'll see. If not, the 1X will do its usual magic.

I see RR joined this morning! Isn't that grand!

5. Larry -

Please keep us informed when the dates get a little more firm for you. I'd love to join you if possible -- the steam train sounds like a great opportunity as well. I did the narrow-guage train ride from Durango to Silverton (CO) once and really enjoyed it. Wasn't much into photos back then, but I remember it would have been nice if I had been.

6. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    David- will keep you posted. I just checked the train web site and it has changed since 2 weeks ago. Previously they had 2 different short trips or you could combine both trips into 1 all day trip for around $43. It looks like the website has been updated and they no longer offer the combined trip. Each short trip is now $37. In April, 1 trip is everyday and the other is only offered on weekends. In May they both go everyday. I don't have a preference for either trip but since my friend (non-photographer btw) lives up there, I get some ideas from him.

http://www.carolinaoutfitters.com/train-tours.htm

He hikes the mountain trails every week, up to 17 miles a day (exercise nut, yes!). He has some spots picked out to shoot. I have yet to tell him, hey Mike, I ain't walking all over those mountains. I'm no where in the same shape he is and I know my limitations (car-walk within 100 yards, shoot, back to car).