1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Anybody prematurely considering the hypothetical upgraded 70-200?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by vinman, Jul 28, 2009.

1. I know, it's still vaporware - plus I HATE threads like this - BUT...

I've had my 80-200AFS since just after they came out. I've always had a great love for this lens, but it's getting a little long in the tooth (or maybe I just have a wandering eye). Anyhow, when the first iteration of the 70-200 came out, the only tangible upgrade was VR. At the time, I shot everything on a tripod so VR didn't have nearly enough appeal for me to sell my beloved and try the new one. Since the advent of Nikon's FX line, and subsequent (inconsistent but persistent) reports of some users not finding it up to par on the FX bodies - again, I just wasn't tempted enough...

Now the rumor mill is brimming with more and more substantial reports of the next generation. My old 80-200 still takes as good a picture as ever, and in fact, aside from a few scuffs on the hood - looks like new - BUT - I'm trying harder and harder to figure out ways to make my gear earn money for me. I'm going to be applying for a few sports photog gigs in the near term, so monopod/handheld images with that length are going to be more important (to me) than before.

So, anyhow - anyone else hanging onto the past to see what happens with this new zoom?

Nano anyone?

I'm guessing they'll take my beloved aperture ring, huh?

Only 10g lighter than my 80-200 and 2mm longer - so no substantial difference there...

Close focus rumored to be 1.4m instead of 1.5m - still only marginal...

Looks like we can keep our 77mm filters handy...

If I could only afford the 200/2, this would be a moot point :474:

2. definetly not
    I am 100% satisfied with my 70-200 on fx and dx

3. I really hope all the current 70-200VR users buy a new version, so I can start to think that maybe I can afford a used one.... BUY BUY BUY

4. +1, not to mention I am poor so probably can't afford the new one anyways :tongue:

5. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    yawn :smile:

80-200 AF-S is a perfectly good lens. 99% of the time you can't tell the difference between an 80-200 AF-D, AF-S, 70-200 VR anyways as far as IQ. In fact if the AF-S non VR version was still available when I bought my 70-200 I probably would have bought that since I always shoot at high shutter speeds. And if i thought the AF was fast enough to keep up on the AF-D I'd probably have bought that one. I only had a D40 body at the time so AF-S was required, LOL.

6. don't hold your breath on

1. that there will be a new one
    2. us buying the new one
    3. us selling at a lower price than yesterday

7. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    I am not and I use it on both DX and FX. I shoot sports and do pj work and the "problems" of this lens are not a factor. Like I have said before in regards to a new version, if it is smaller,lighter, and noticeably sharper I would think about replacing it. Otherwise, the FX "fix" if it is a new feature, is not a motivator for an upgrade.

8. this thread will be 99.9% people who own one now have "NO" reason to upgrade.....

People who are looking to buy it for the first time should consider both lenses but just not assume its going to be better than the original....

I also think this thread is going to go sour quick....people get bitter and defensive (myself included) when a new version comes out...it happened with the 28-70 and 24-70 and will happen again.

9. +1

I dont understand this "upgrade". N coating and "VR2" ??

10. I see nothing wrong with the current lens. I will not buy a new version.

11. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Spec sheet racing. :wink:

12. LSSE

LSSE Guest

sad but true. I can almost see the wars to come as soon as the new ones start showing up here with the keepers meaninglesly trying to justify their model, as if there was a need to do so. oh well...at least it will make for some good 5pm ammusement.

I think it is a new optical design. we'll see.

13. I dont think this should be a new SKU, it should simply replace the "older" VR I lens. Phase out the current model and replace it with the newer version.

14. LSSE

LSSE Guest

I'm pretty sure the current model will be discontinued as soon as this is announced or shortly after. there seems to be no reason for them to keep a production run open when the resources could be better used for anything else.

15. Well, I'm comparing my existing "old" AF-S (non-VR) to the yet-to-be released replacement VR.

As far as "spec sheet racing", I've never been much of a "have to have the latest" type, but those using the 70-200 (as well as other VR lenses) swear by the VR feature. With the D700, high ISO, and the need to get the fastest shutter speed at the most ideal aperture, VR is looking more and more appealing.

It's really more of a VR lust than an unlikely better IQ (after all, the 80-200AF-S is still considered one of Nikon's standard bearers)...

Anyhow, I'm like Randy in that I don't see a ton of existing 70-200 owners dumping their lenses to get the newer one. With the price wildness going on with Nikon glass right now, I wouldn't count on any "bargains", either.

I'm really directing this question towards people with the older AF-D/AF-S lenses. How do YOU feel about the prospect of upgrading??

16. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah and there's going to be a whole bunch saying how the new version is "hands down" superior (<-- 'hands down', I always love that* :smile: ) even though I seriously doubt there's going to be much difference at all, just as there's really very little difference in IQ between any of the versions of this lens. That will upset current 70-200VR owners disagreeing with the "hands down" assessment and the flame wars will ensue. Yes good 5pm amusement. :wink:

* Across many different forums for many different topics, pretty much whenever I see someone offering an opinion with the "hands down" tag it almost always guarantees they've missed something, are exaggerating, or are totally off base in one area or another. I've been too busy lately to surf much here, but a few months after this thing is out I'm going to search the new threads for "hands down" and I bet I'll get a couple hits and find all of the flame wars. :biggrin:

17. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Any guesses on price? I bet $1999.99, lol.

18. After trading up several times I decided my 80-200 AFS would be my last lens in this focal length range. Then the 70-200VR came out, but it didn't have an aperture ring, so I couldn't use it with my earlier film Nikons and I did not trade up.

I don't think I'll be trading up this time, either.

19. I'm not gonna buy it. And I'm not gonna get bitter because of threads such as these. I've still got my Beast, and it still works just as good as ever. I haven't seen much out of the new lens that would convince me that I need to upgrade, so I doubt the improvements to the 70-200 will impress me enough to make the purchase.

20. LSSE

LSSE Guest

that would be generous of them with current ones going for just under that. wasn't the current model 2299 at release? With the dollar in the toilet and after years of inflation a 2k price would be a "bargain".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.