1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Anybody stacking TC's on the 200/f2 lens? (or using Kenko 3X

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by twig, Jun 29, 2005.

1. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    HEllo, I am wondering if anyone has tried stacking bothh the 1.4X and 2.0X TC's on the 200/f2 to get 560/5.6?

To stack nikon TC's I think you have to file off the tab on one, and it will not show the proper f stop, but it is possible.

Anyway, I was wondering because I want to pick up just one "uber-lens" to use for baseball (night games at a very new and well lit park), but that could also serve double duty for low light basketball. Finally, I want a lens that I ca ndo some hand held birding (I am not a serious bird photog), bring to Hawk Mountain to photo raptors, etc.

I think my primary alternative to cover baseball and occaisional birding would be the 300/2.8VR with the 1.4 or 2.0TC as necessary.

However I am thinking that if the 200/f2 with 1.4X TC is a close substitute for the 300/2.8, the 200 without TC provides additional usefulness for low light,

So, if I could stack TC's and get 560/5.6 that is comparable to the 300/2.8 wit ha 2X TC on it, then it would be a real big plus for the 200 lens.

Another alternative is the Kenko 3X TC, which in a single unit magnifies the range by 3X. BEcause of the 3-stop light loss this TC is rarely talked about or used I think because you need f/2 lens to maintain autofocus, but the Nikon 200 qualifies.

Thanks for any info

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.