Anybody still use the Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX (non-Art) on newer bodies (D750, D810, etc.)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Jonathan F/2, May 15, 2018.

1. I'm looking for a decent AF 50mm for travel. Primary use would be for portraiture and atmospheric photos. I currently own the Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, but it's really too big for travel and I'm looking for a small, yet high quality lens. I've owned the Nikon 50mm 1.8 and 1.4 D/G lenses and they never really excited me. The next step up is the Tamron 45mm 1.8, but it's big like the Sigma 50mm Art. I do like the 58mm 1.4 G, but I don't think I can justify that lens at it's price point.

I haven't found any recent user feedback with the Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX non-Art lens, so I'm wondering if it's still a decent option. Also I'd welcome any other lens suggestions if I missed anything. Thanks!

2. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign

Mar 14, 2017
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I have been looking at the 50mm 1.4 EX also. From reviews of the 50mm Art that compare the new and old lenses, the EX is still a worthy contender with smoother out of focus blur but slightly less sharpness wide open. Finding info on focus issues has proven to be much more difficult, but I did read one user report that indicated that focus issues had been corrected in production on the EX at some point before the the Art lenses were introduced...

3. Actually I just ordered a used, smooth finish (non-crinkled) 50mm 1.4 EX HSM. I'll test out the AF and see if it's useable. I'm probably going to sell my 50mm 1.4 Art and swap it out for the 35mm Art lens. Though it depends if I get a good copy or not! :D

4. Temba

Temba

Dec 29, 2008
    Southern ON.CA
    Is the Smooth finish version the newer of the two?
    Thanks
    James

5. Yes. Sigma changed to the new surface finish before starting the C/A/S designation.

6. Hi! I just wanted to chime in since I received my Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX HSM! My copy looks pretty clean. The lens needed some AF adjustments on my Nikon bodies. F/1.4 is a bit dreamy, but if shooting portraits it's not bad. The Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art in comparison is a technical razor blade of sharpness, but I'd say the non-Art is more akin to the Nikon 58mm 1.4 G lens. Also what's nice is that the lens is more manageable to hold and isn't sized like a huge barbell off your camera like many of the Art series lenses! It also has the older Sigma color signature, but not really an issue since I shoot raw.

Even though the Sigma 50mm Art is the more advanced and technical lens, for portraitures I think I prefer the non-Art. Now I'm debating if I should sell my 50mm Art lens and swap it for a 35mm Art instead? :D

7. Temba

Temba

Dec 29, 2008
    Southern ON.CA
    thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.