anybody try Carbonite

$55 a year seems like a great deal and alot better than collecting harddrives

anyone try their service or find a better one out there ?

thx

I have used Carbonite for the past 2 yrs and I like it. When my computer crashed 6 months ago, I had several files on Carbonite that were not on my home external hard drives and it worked seemlessly while setting up my new computer.

As you said, for the price it seemed hard to beat.

But - I still keep my critical files backed up on 2 redundant external drives at home. My concern what will happen if Carbonite goes out of business. I do not consider it to be my primary backup. I think of it as a belt to my home drive suspenders. If for example, heaven forbid, there was a fire in my home, Carbonite would serve as offsite backup.

A lot of peace of mind for the price and it is reassuring to know that everything gets backed up pretty much immediately and without me having to touch a key. You get positive reinforcement when you see a small green dot superimposed on every file on your machine.

Only caveat is that it takes a long time to initially backup your files. Talking about weeks here, not hours. But it ran unobtrusively in the background and all went well.

I am pleased with the service.

I have used Carbonite for the past 2 yrs and I like it. When my computer crashed 6 months ago, I had several files on Carbonite that were not on my home external hard drives and it worked seemlessly while setting up my new computer.

As you said, for the price it seemed hard to beat.

But - I still keep my critical files backed up on 2 redundant external drives at home. My concern what will happen if Carbonite goes out of business. I do not consider it to be my primary backup. I think of it as a belt to my home drive suspenders. If for example, heaven forbid, there was a fire in my home, Carbonite would serve as offsite backup.

A lot of peace of mind for the price and it is reassuring to know that everything gets backed up pretty much immediately and without me having to touch a key. You get positive reinforcement when you see a small green dot superimposed on every file on your machine.

Only caveat is that it takes a long time to initially backup your files. Talking about weeks here, not hours. But it ran unobtrusively in the background and all went well.

I am pleased with the service.
i assume you tell it what folders to backup ?
can you selectivelt restore a file, mut files, or a folder ?
can it backup from external hd-s ?
are you concerned that it may stray to confidential stuff like tax returns, checkbook files, etc ?
I can hide those folders w/ an encrytion tool i use but i'd rather not

thx for your help !

Randy - yes you can pick and choose which files to b/u. I actually did include my checkbook files (Quicken) because I wanted an offsite backup site.

Yes, selective restore is available, which is what I used when my machine crashed. And yes, you can b/u from externals.

They used to offer a trial period for free which is what I chose. Problem was that the backup took so long initially, that I had to keep hitting them up for an extension of the trial period. It took some doing to get them to agree to extend the trial period, but I explained that I would not subscribe until I was able to play with the service for real and they relented.

In retrospect, I should have just tried the system using a few selected files and not insisted that Carobnite allow me to b/u my entire drive, but they did, I liked it and agreed to the subscription.

Your concerns about securing certain sensitive files are understandable and I suspect that if you search around on the C site, you can get more accurate answers from them. Let's face it though, even if you instruct it to ignore certain files, there is no guarantee that it won't take them anyway either by mistake or by design. Encryption might be your only option to feel totally secure.

I do not keep sensitive data on the machine that C backs up (other than my checkbook software) so I am either less concerned or more naive than you.

I am sure they have all sorts of FAQ's on the various questions you posed.

Randy - yes you can pick and choose which files to b/u. I actually did include my checkbook files (Quicken) because I wanted an offsite backup site.

Yes, selective restore is available, which is what I used when my machine crashed. And yes, you can b/u from externals.

They used to offer a trial period for free which is what I chose. Problem was that the backup took so long initially, that I had to keep hitting them up for an extension of the trial period. It took some doing to get them to agree to extend the trial period, but I explained that I would not subscribe until I was able to play with the service for real and they relented.

In retrospect, I should have just tried the system using a few selected files and not insisted that Carobnite allow me to b/u my entire drive, but they did, I liked it and agreed to the subscription.

Your concerns about securing certain sensitive files are understandable and I suspect that if you search around on the C site, you can get more accurate answers from them. Let's face it though, even if you instruct it to ignore certain files, there is no guarantee that it won't take them anyway either by mistake or by design. Encryption might be your only option to feel totally secure.

I do not keep sensitive data on the machine that C backs up (other than my checkbook software) so I am either less concerned or more naive than you.

I am sure they have all sorts of FAQ's on the various questions you posed.
Thanks !

I've been using Carbonite for a couple of years, in addition to a succession of local external drives. It's slow, especially if you have a lot of files, but it has the advantages of being automatic and off site.

I have used it at my office for a couple years now. Been very happy with it. When I got a new laptop last year, I just did a restore and all my files were transferred to the new computer.

I've just recently switched over to Carbonite from Mozy and I'm very satisfied. It's very easy to include or exclude files and the data is encrypted before being transmitted to their servers. They say that even they can't see what's in it because you have the key/password on your computer.

I've been using Carbonite since about 2006, and I have been happy with the service. It is not my only backup, but just a second layer for peace of mind. All of my photos are stored on a drive which is backed up by Carbonite, but I also have a second drive which I copy to periodically.

When I last looked, they will only backup internal drives; no NAS or USB drives.

I've been using Carbonite since about 2006, and I have been happy with the service. It is not my only backup, but just a second layer for peace of mind. All of my photos are stored on a drive which is backed up by Carbonite, but I also have a second drive which I copy to periodically.

When I last looked, they will only backup internal drives; no NAS or USB drives.
i had heard no external drives so i need to chk

thx

i didn't go with them because
1. they don't backup external hd-s
2. when a file is removed from the internal hd they eventually remove it from their backup

so this won't work for those of us who move images from our internal hd to external hd-s

Two years so far with it and I like it. I lost a hard drive to an operating system error and I was able to recover everything from Carbonite. Yes, I also back up on an external. For the money, it's hard not to find a reason to use it.

Rolf

I am not familiar but heard a local Radio person speak of Mozy and said they do not guarantee your data to be there.. something in their small print. They were speaking about "cloud" and how data is backed up. So I guess you have to check the small print on if they truly guarantee your data as Clark howard on the ATL radio indicated, Mozy does not guarantee your back up.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom