Anybody up here near Traverse City?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeeJay, Jun 7, 2005.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Last week we drove, with three dogs, from Florida to our summer lake cottage near Traverse City. We'll be here for three months.

I'm hoping some of you get up here to the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. It's northwest of Traverse City and the little village is Glen Arbor... This is where I'm located--right in the middle of the national park.

I have a dial up very slow line up here...so pictures take forever to upload to the forum but I plan to spend time doing it... I'll be out taking pictures as soon as the sun comes out and as soon as I unpack the car and groom the dogs.

The photo possiblilites are endless up here.

Let me know if you get up this way,

Best to you,

Gaye

2. Traverse City

Gaye, Are you from there originally, or how did you find it. The location sounds beautiful. Enjoy your summer! CS Dayan

3. Brew

Brew Guest

I'm across the little pond but not planning any trips over there :cry:

Back some 30 years ago I was stationed up in Cheboygan on the Mackinaw for a couple years. Too bad I wasn't into photography back then as I missed a lot of interesting captures while out breaking ice... :roll:

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gaye :

Wow. Neat area. The closest I'll get this summer will be the other side of the state on business in Port Huron area just pre-Labour Day. Not a quick drive to drop in and see you , sadly.

John P.

5. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    CS, John and Bruce,

At least you know where I am so if you get to these parts you know you'll have someone to throw sand at... (from the huge dune),,,

I've been coming here for 35 years and husband for over 50 years.. The national park now surrounding us makes it even more special because they are preserving everything.

The lake we're on is about four miles across and is round. It's one of the top ten most beautiful lakes in the world (that ffact was in National Geographic years ago) and it's very cold :!: :!:

I do hope to get some good pictures and will now miss the 12-24 I sold to Mike Worley.... but I think the 17-55 will do a good job with the wide angle shots that I'll have.

Best to you,

Gaye

6. Traverse City

Gaye after listening to your discussion about the 12-24, in your thread to sell, I bought one. I will need more time to get used to it. I sold my 17-35, I don't miss it so far, I have the 28-70 to supplement. CS Dayan

7. Gaye,

Glad to hear you're back up in Gods country. I hope you don't have one of those cottages that is being taken over by the dunes. I'm not sure if I'll get up that way this summer, but I have a brother in Gaylord that I may go up and see. PM me with your phone number and if I get up that way I'll give you a call. If you get down to the Marshall area give me a call and we'll get together.

Regards,

Scott B