Anybody use PSP X?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by dougkess, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Just curious. I have found it very intuitive and yes, even fun to use. It seems to have quite a bit of muscle for the price.

2. Yes I have been using it. I find it very easy to use compared to Photoshop, in fact I find I am using it more often than any other editing programme.

3. I have PSP 9 and like it. In fact at home - I have PSP-X in my shopping basket, just need to click the Purchase button. I have been PSP for years and find that most things the Photoshop can do, PSP can do too. I think PSP-X now supports raw?

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    PSP X does support Nikon Raw and you DO NOT need RSE....

Does a pretty good job to.

5. Ahhh Gale! You just made me spend more money. Guess I am gonna go ahead and buy it. LOL

6. Gale or anybody know if PSP-X supports the pen tablets? I am thinking I want to try one of these out as well - seems like it would be easier/funner to edit with a pen tablet. I have never used one but, seems like a cool Xmas present to myself.

7. I can not think of any reason the Wacom or a pen/mouse would not work with that. go fer it. have fun.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yes PSP supports the tablet.

9. I downloaded PSP-X (Trial Version) I cannot get it to open NEF files from my D70s. I think it is supports Nikon NEF files but, no worky. I am missing something here?

10. Well I am baffled?

Found this on Corel Support Site

Does Paint Shop Pro X support Raw pictures files from my digital camera?
    Details

Paint Shop Pro X supports several popular digital camera Raw file formats.
    Answer

Paint Shop Pro X supports the following cameras:

Canon® EOS-1D Mark II, 10D, 20D, Rebel, Rebel XT, 300D, Kiss, D30, D60, PowerShot G3, S30, S40, S50, S60, Pro1
    Fuji® FinePix F700, S5000Z, S7000Z
    Kodak® DCS720X, DCS760C, DCS760M
    Konica Minolta® DiMAGE 5, 7, 7Hi, 7i, DiMAGE A1, A2
    Nikon® Coolpix 8800, D1H, D1X, D2H, D70, D100
    Olympus® C-5050, C-5060, C-8080, E-1, E-10, E-20
    Pentax® *ist D

Support for the following cameras models was added in version 10.01. Click Here for a list of issues that were addressed in 10.01.

Nikon® D50
    Canon® EOS Kiss Digital N

This list will be expanded in future updates of Paint Shop Pro X (use the Help > Check for Updates menu item to check for and download updates). As an alternate option, you may want to consider using RawShooter Essentials, by Pixmantec, if your camera is currently unsupported by Paint Shop Pro X's built in support.

RawShooter Essentials comes with Paint Shop Pro X and can be used to convert digital camera Raw files into TIFF files for editing in Paint Shop Pro X. You can also download RawShooter Essentials from the Free Trials page on Corel.com Note: RawShooter Essentials is supported by Pixmantec. See the Support menu at www.pixmantec.com for more information on Pixmantec support.

Clearly, it suppose to support D70 NEF files but, I cannot get it to open a NEF file. Rebooted, reinstalled nada. Hmmmm........... Unless D70 NEF is different from D70s - I thought they were the same format?

Somebody, know anything I can try?

11. Mark,
    I am not positive, but PRETTY SURE the D70s is a different NEF than the D70, and based on the information you recieved would expect that is the problem.
    Dave

12. Dave,

I suppose you right. I did not think they would be different but, perhaps they are. That would be a problem.

Can someone email me a NEF file taken with a D70?

13. Just released 10.02 - It now supports aRGB and can open a D70s NEF! :biggrin: Yippeeee.....

Paint Shop Pro 10.02 - English

Corel® Paint Shop Pro® 10.02 Release Notes

Please Note:
    You must have 10.01 to install this update. To determine your version, go to Help > About Paint Shop Pro X and look in the upper left area of the splash screen. If you see 10.00, you must install the 10.01 patch first. Also, be sure that Paint Shop Pro is not running before installing the patch.

Support for additional Camera Raw formats:

* Canon Kiss n
    * Nikon D50 and D70s
    * Konica-Minolta Maxxum7D/Dynax7D
    * Konica-Minolta Dynax5D

Browser Palette Improvements:

* The Browser Palette will now mimic PSP9 behavior by minimizing after a file is opened (unless in PhotoStrip mode). It can be restored by pressing Ctrl + B, or by clicking the Browser Palette button in the Standard toolbar.
    * In the Browser Palette, you can now drag and drop thumbnails from the browser into folders in the file tree.
    * The Browser Palette now maintains sort order when Paint Shop Pro is closed and reopened.
    * Using Ctrl + A to select all thumbnails in the Browser Palette now works properly.
    * Custom brush tips now appear in the Browser palette.

General Improvements:

* "Update Back to Animation Shop" is now available as an Unused Command that can be restored as a menu item using the Customize dialog.
    * Paint Shop Pro no longer freezes upon exiting when large amounts of data are on the clipboard.
    * After using the Spacebar to temporarily access the Pan Tool, Ctrl-key features (such as adding nodes with the Pen Tool) now work correctly.
    * Mask layers with partial opacity now work properly.
    * The Histogram Palette no longer has problems with layered 16-bit documents.
    * While using the Object Remover tool, the source location can now be rotated exactly 90 degrees.
    * Fixed a problem where double-clicking an image embedded in another application wasn't starting up Paint Shop Pro to let you edit the image.
    * The File > Export > Photo Sharing feature is now correctly linked for European users.
    * Text added several times to a path is now saved and displayed properly. Previously, only the initially added text remained after the files was saved and reopened.
    * Using the Flip command no longer causes certain files to not be saved properly.
    * In Windows 2000 on German systems, the application no longer crashes whenever browsing images in a folder having a name that starts with "Past."

File Format Improvements:

* Copyright data added in the Image Information dialog is now correctly saved in TIFF or JPEG files.
    * Saving files as TIFF will no longer result in loss of the image resolution value.
    * Problems reading 16-bit multi-page TIFF files have been fixed.
    * When opening a Camera Raw image by double-clicking the file icon in Windows, the auto-rotate and Smart Photo Fix options now work.
    * Problems saving photos that were previously accessed using Nikon browser software have been fixed.
    * Fixed problems rendering transparency in .eps and .ai files.
    * Fixed a problem where saving a 16-bit/channel image as BMP required changing the image to paletted (256-color) mode.
    * Paint Shop Pro now correctly opens Windows Cursor (.cur) files.
    * Problems loading certain TGA files have been fixed.
    * PNG files now correctly list resolution values as PPCM (pixels per cm) instead of PPI (pixels per inch) when metric units are used.

Color Management Improvements:

* A problem using Paint Shop Pro with a flawed monitor profile has been fixed.
    * The Color Profile Mismatch warning no longer displays when it shouldn't.
    * Problems changing the location for Monitor Profiles using the File Locations dialog have been fixed.
    * Problems with a grayscale profile residing in the color profiles directory have been fixed.
    * The AdobeRGB profile has been added (with permission from Adobe Systems, Inc.).