Anybody use the Sigma 15-30 with the D3?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Jonathan F/2, Aug 16, 2008.

1. I used to own this lens. Perhaps one of the sharpest lenses I ever owned. Sold it, but now I want to pick one up for the D3. It flared like crazy, but it was so rich, contrasty and sharp. Just wondering how the results are on FX? I figure it could be my poor man's 14-24!

2. I can only talk about usage on Canon and I have to say it is an impressive chunk of glass: good build though it's a bit large, but excellent sharpness, focus and contrast. I got many excellent shots with it and eventually changed to the 17-40mm L which was actually no improvement IMO. It is often available SH at good prices as it's one of those little talked about options. Should be good on FF though I only used it on a crop body back then. Never had any flare problems but I suspect the design does kinda lend itself to those kinda issues in strong light.

3. I just picked one up...had one about 3 years ago, regretted the day I sold it.
    Extremely sharp, great IQ... will be trying it out on the d700 as soon as it gets here :biggrin::biggrin:

4. I dont own it, and i have no desire to either since i own the 14-24/2,8.

However a friend of mine use on this D3, and have taken some awesome images with it. He picked it up very cheap, and use it alot for sports (extreme angels) where he is at risk of getting hit by the subject. Thats not a position im likley to find my self in with a expensive piece of glass such as the 14-24/2,8.

So if you can find one for a good price and good condition i would not hesitate to get one.

5. Excellent lens, its a bit off an "odd" focal lenght - not really wide enough on DX in some ways so it languished on the shelves.

I picked one up and found it excellent. I sold it as for my landscape work I need to be able to use C-Pols and ND filters, but its a superb bit of glass.

6. So consensus is the lens is still pretty darn good on FX? You guys don't have to preach to me regarding DX use! The only thing I didn't like is that front element, but a lot cheaper than damaging a 14-24!