anybody using an SB24?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by roundout, Sep 6, 2008.

1. roundout

roundout

Aug 19, 2008
    DFW
    I bought an old SB-24 for about $40 after reading all the stuff from the Strobist. Being kind of a DIY-er I figured I could handle being a little low-tech and using the manual settings to get the results I need on my D70 shot in M mode.

The flash works fine, but not always. The LCD and buttons all function and all the modes work on my old N70. With the D70, however, sometimes the flash seems to lock up and no buttons work, even in the flash's Manual mode. If I remove the flash from the body and turn it off and back on, sometimes it works. Occasionally, the buttons just start working while attached to the body. Anybody know why this would happen? It seems to be a function of using on the D70, not the flash itself, since it works on my old 35mm body just fine.

Is this a sign that I should just go buy a cheap SB-400 and move in to the iTTL era?

2. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    Strobist use flash off camera in manual mode. Did you say off camera the buttons still lock up?

40 dollars is a good deal for a sb-24..id pick that over a sb400 any day (well depends what you need it for). Silly question, but the batteries are brand new?

3. roundout

roundout

Aug 19, 2008
    DFW
    They were, but I've shot them up. It happened from the day I got it (and installed fresh batts).

And you're correct, sometimes off the camera the buttons still lock. Sometimes, they work and I can set up my settings but then as soon as I re-mount the flash, the buttons lock again. This means that if I set up my equation and don't get it quite right, I have to uninstall and reinstall the flash just to press one button one time.

If I'm just goofing around it's more of an annoyance, but the other day I was trying to do a group shoot for my office and it was both frustrating and embarrassing.

4. There is a DSLR to Speedlight compatibility chart on the Nikon site. Go to:[URL="http://www.nikonusa.com"
    ]http://www.nikonusa.com[/URL] Click on Service and Support, then Knowledge Database. In the "search by" box, select "Answer ID". Answer ID # 59 addresses D70 and speedlights. Answer ID #886 is the compatibility chart.

It appears TTL function will not work with your combination.

Max

5. sllywhtboy

sllywhtboy

Jun 28, 2006
    detroit'ish
    have you tried setting the flash-type on the d70 from TTL to manual in the menus?

6. I have an SB24 and use it quite a bit. I used it at a rally on Sunday in "A" mode on my D50 with no problems but I have made a modification . I opened the base of the flash and disconnected the wires going to the back two pins - one of them is the "flash ready" pin which tells the camera there is a flash connected and makes it default to flash speed . The other one is TTl-output from the camera which isn't much use since they don't talk to digitals . The front pin is "monitor contact" and is useful because if the flash is in standby mode this pin wakes the flash up when you turn the camera on .
    With the D40/50/70 you can synch speeds up to 1/4000 at 1/4 power like this .
    In "A" mode you just have to remember to input the correct settings .
    I like this flash so much I just bought a second one ....
    In this shot taken at 1/800th sec in 'A' mode with the flash on an sc17 cable you can actually see the shadow thrown by the power of the flash .....
    Rallysun085.jpg

7. roundout

roundout

Aug 19, 2008
    DFW
    I should have clarified. I am not looking for TTL; I know that won't work. More concerning is the behaviour of the flash. I need to know if it's malfunctioning or not. Knowing that will allow me to go forward with either this flash or a different unit.

8. To me it sounds like it's malfunctioning - I haven't had that kind of behaviour from mine yet .

9. I was using my SB-24 on my N80 today and put it on the D50 and shot 33 exposures with no problems. I was using Auto and manual settings.

I did not try it with the D80 but thought the D50 info might give you an indication. I think you may have a trouble on the strobe.

Max

10. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    More on that please? I know they all had "higher" sync speeds of 1/500, but I'd like to know more about sync at 8x the rated flash sync speed. Could be useful for a LOT of things!

Nice image from the race too!

11. A simple solution is to slide a piece of paper under the back two pins of the flash [ any flash that can be set manually or use "A" mode ] . This way the camera doesn't get a signal from the flash that it is ready to fire and fires as if there isn't a flash there . With the models I mention they have a shutter that never fires faster than 1/125th sec while the sensor fires electronically allowing high synch speeds .
    Now you can set any speed you want and the camera won't default to the max speed of 1/500th since "there is no flash'' as far as it 'knows' .
    An SB800 fires at 1/700th at full power I think so 1/500th is safe for that power .[I haven't tried this yet with the SB800 , just comparing flash firing speeds ] . 1/2700th at 1/4 output so 1/2000th should capture all the light , 1/5900th at 1/8th which would be a safe 1/4000th shutter speed .
    The SB24 is not as powerful so the firing times should actually be faster at the same fractions .
    I took a few shots at 1/8000th in total darkness with my D70S and it catches some of the light evenly over the entire frame but not much at that speed .

12. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Interesting Desmond, thank you! I never realized the sensors in those bodies read data progressively, not simultaniously. It actually makes sense from an electronic standpoint. Makes me wonder if other bodies work in a similar way???

13. I'm not too sure what you mean about reading progressively , I don't know too much about that . I think the main difference is that other bodies rely totally on the shutter letting light in rather than an electronically triggered sensor like a compact .

14. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Ahh I see what you mean now. Instead of having a "slit" that moves past the sensor (ah la; traditional high speed shutter), you're saying that the shutter opens to 1/125th and the sensor turns on and off at the appropriate "speed"?

15. that's how I understand it and apparently why such high synch speeds can be obtained .