1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Anybody using the CyberSync triggers

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by fireman, Sep 14, 2008.

1. I'm in the process of acquiring a Strobist setup. I want to go wireless but I find the prices of wireless triggers ridiculous unless you're going with eBay triggers. I don't mind modding them to get better performance and range but I'm still a bit worried about long term reliability.

I've been looking at the CyberSync for a while now and I was wondering if Cafe members are using them and if so, if they like them. I would also like to hear about performance and range.

2. willsparklin

willsparklin Guest

I would like to know as well. I've got a decision to make between Elinchrom Skyports and the CyberSync triggers.

3. Go to www.paulcbuff.com/forums to find out from folks using them. From what I've read, the folks really seem to like them a lot. Much better than the Ebay triggers, but not quite as fancy or long-ranged as the PW setup. I hear they're pretty reliable as well.

4. aCab

aCab

Aug 27, 2008
    ATL
    I currently have the ebay trigger and they work fine for my current applications, but I am thinking about buying a set of cybersyncs. I've heard nothing but good things about them. People just seem to not be too fond of the build quality. That's all I've heard bad.

5. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I own a Cybersync transmitter and two receivers (battery powered versions). Build quality is fine. Much better than what I thought they might be from a few reviews I read too. But overall, very decent build quality. No real concern there for me. MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the ebay triggers.

The main plus is they trigger EVERY time..always, unlike the ebay triggers. No sporadic false triggers..EVER. Distance is realistically 300-350 ft outdoors (repeater mode and another receiver will get you 700' or so). Indoors they fire anywhere from in my house, through walls etc..couldn't guess the range there but far enough for indoors for me. Pocket Wizards are still King Daddy for distance so no comparison there...but if you don't need the PW distance the Cybersync's are a great option.

I'm not crazy about the fact there is no off switch on the receivers and the raised on switch is easily bumped resulting in them turning on. They turn off automatically in an hour but every bump means an hour on. New versions will supposedly have recessed on switches to help prevent that. You can always remove the batteries to turn them off but it's a hassle to me. Throw them in a camera bag etc, with the batteries in and good chance you'll find them on when you go to use them.

Skyports are just as reliable, very decent build quality and a bit more money but also offer the ability to group and trigger lights from the transmitter. Cybersync's only offer switching channels. If grouping is important, condsider the Skyports.

If all you need is an inexpensive, solid, 100% dependable, basic wireless trigger, Cybersync's fit the bill. If you need grouping or more transmitter distance go with the other mentioned options.

Ebay triggers eventually end up just being a waste of money and tend to cause bouts of tourettes.

6. willsparklin

willsparklin Guest

I went ahead and purchased the cybersyncs earlier this week. They arrived last night and I had the chance to give them a preliminary test. Thus far I'm impressed.

Build quality was fine, although I do agree with the annoying on button being somewhat of a hassle for storage. An on/off switch would be much more practical.

I tested the outdoor range while shooting a soccer match. I placed a flash and receiver on my camera bag at the 25 yard line and started walking away, simply triggering the transmitter by hand. It was perfectly reliable up to about 150-75 feet, when I passed the opposing 25 yard line.

Placing the the transmitters close to the ground apparently has the same adverse affects as multiple obstacles in the way. Elevating the receiver a few feet solved the range problem, and I was able to trigger the flash from the far corner of the opposing endzone.

I've yet to really stress them indoors, but they are 100% reliable through at least two walls about 30 feet away.

7. exitnine

exitnine

Jun 5, 2008
    Boston, MA
    I bought 2 set too, they are nice, but the only complaint is the recevier, no way to strick it to the flash unit, have to use velco tape to it. Other than that, I think this is a good unit.

8. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    I love mine. They do everything I ask of them, and for a great price.

A++ in my book.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.