Anybody using the Nikon 24-70 for critical landscapes – at 35mm + Lee-filters

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Steinar, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    This question has been up before, but not exactly in this way.

--------

Everybody know this lens is amazing for weddings, portraits and a lot more, and the lens is so good wide open.

I have also seen fine scape-pics with this lens.

But I never seen a serious landscape shooter using this lens for critical scapes with Lee-filters.

The front does not rotate, but it moves – what about the huge filter holder and the filters then ….some says, they think it is not a problem, others says “take care.”

I do not think it was Nikons thoughts shooting critical scapes with this lens, but maybe there is a hidden gem here from 35mm stopped down. ?

In the area 24-35 it does not score more than 4 point in this test (4 point is also good - 5 points is the very best)

http://www.pictchallenge-archives.ne..._optiques.html

It is french, but you can scroll down to see the points of the 24-70 and also for fun what the 35-70 is given - and remember it is the AFD, not the AF without the D.

- The 24-70 in the area 24-35 got 4 points here.

- It does get 5 points in the 35-70 area, but so does the 35-70 AF-D exept for wide open.

I recall another more personel review said it was best in the 35-70 area (but can not remember the place or link), so maybe the test is valid.

The 24-70 is better in the flare/ghosting area, than the 35-70 lens , I have read.

In fact I ordered the 24-70, some time ago, but he could not deliver, and when he could after more than a month I was not interested anymore, because of those reviews.

Now I am interested again, because I have sold all my DX-lenses, because of my D700, so I have no WA-lens, that can use filters - well, my 35-70 can, but the front rotates, and I do not like that ....using a huge LEE-filter set.

As mentioned I have never seen a very serious landscape-shooter using the 24-70 lens for critical scapes (but that can be me ?)- but it is amazing for weddings, PJ.s and a lot, lot more, and I think it is made for those jobs.

Maybe because it is first at the very best from 35mm and up. ? (some says it is because of curvature of field at 24mm, but that is another talk, what the reason is, I do not want to go into that)

Now I am here: I would be satiesfied if it is top,top for scapes from 35mm, I do not need 24mm on FX, and then I can use my filters, if anybody can say that it is no problem with the “moving” front and I would sell my 35-70, because the area 24-35 will be very fine for my weddings also, but I am in doubt if I shall buy a Nikon 28mm f/2.0 AI-s or Zeiss 35mm f/2.0 instead, for my landscape work and then keep the 35-70 for weddings.

(I chose the 14-24 instead of the 17-35 (tough choice) and now this is my last problem/challenge going from DX to FX)

So my point and questions are
    (hope you did not fall a sleep before this point :smile:)

1) Can anybody say something about the "landscape mode" at 35mm for the 24-70 lens for critical scapes, which sometimes will be printed out very large. ?

2) How is the 24-70 with the sun in or near the frame (flare/ghosting) and also the nightshooting abilities with a lot of city-lights (the 28mm f/2.0 AI-s and the Zeiss 35mm are very good in this flare/ghosting and nightshooting- area)

3) The moving “issue” using a huge Lee-holder and filters. (vignetting and fall of is not a problem stopped down, I have read).

Thank you very much.

2. godrick

godrick

Mar 18, 2008
    Europe
    I was at first sceptical about this lens, but find the results pretty stunning for land/cityscapes. 35mm is excellent. I don't use Lee filters.

3. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you very much.

- I am in a bit hurry, this time, so I have got some answers just 1 minute ago, when a man on a forum wrote a lot about the lens, and I put the questions in there, too, just 5 minutes ago, and he have allready answered me.

I got this:

- No problems with the Lee-filters, even it is moving (not rotating) when changing focal length

- Not prone to flare/ghosting if you work a little with it. Just take care about it, but not a serious problem at all.

- No problems with city-lights in the night - nightshooting

- tack sharp at 35mm stopped down - from corner to corner.