1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Anyone been inside a Nikon Lithium Ion battery?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by rbsinto, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Since Nikon doesn't make cold packs for their cameras, I've wondered about rigging up a battery dummy using an old EN-EL4a and running a cable out the other end to a power source that can be kept in a pocket. However, since on the battery's instructions it says not to break them open, I just wondered if anyone has done just that either accidently or on purpose so I get an idea what's inside. Sure it might just be easier to keep fresh batteries inside my jacket and switch them frequently but building something that doesn't exist to fill a need is always fun, and I'd give this a shot if I learn that opening one doesn't lead to Global Thermonuclear consequences, or worse.
    Please and thanks,
    Robert

2. Do you mean inside the case or in the cells. There is a fake battery pack that installs in the battery compartment with a wire for external power sourse, I have one for macro stacking. Think I got it on flea bay.

3. Are you using a D3?
    I've searched and Googled trying to find a EN EL4a dummy or remote pack for the D3 without success so I'd like to break open an old, dead EN EL4a battery and wire it up as a spacer to go into the camera's battery compartment, and run a wire to an external power source. That Nikon doesn't make external power sources for their Pro cameras astounds me. With the help of a friend a million years ago we made one for a MD-12 motor drive for a FM/ FE/FM-2/FE-2 FA body and it worked perfectly. Unfortunately he is now long gone and I'm on my own with this project, which is why I'm asking.
    Robert

4. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    I do like to look for hacks that other brave souls have done and have come across battery hacks including this one when I was thinking about doing similar to yourself. Never did actually attempt it though
    blurMEDIA Photography: DSLR Battery Hack for Timelapse

I do not think there is any chance of Thermonuclear events but there may be a danger of your country being invaded by your neighbours or worse overrun with Brits

5. No, but I did spend some time in a refrigerator once (ya know to make sure the light went out)

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. And......did it?

7. :ROFLMAO:  yeah. There was a guy on FM did just that about 6 or 5 yrs ago, I'll see if I can locate the thread...

8. Will didn't notice, he was distracted by all the beer he found inside :D 

9. I can show you a video of the lights going out just put the camera recording into the fridge when you close the door.....

Seriously: I suggest getting an AC adapter for the camera, measure the output voltage, cut that cord, and hook up a battery to the cut cord with the same or close enough voltage. Then connect to the camera.

You might be able to get one of those battery packs for a cell phone they sell all over the place to use instead. I have seen ones with 15,000mah.

10. Andreas,
    The problem with this experiment is its results are similar to those obtained when the famous Double Slit Experiment of Quantum Physics is performed. The results differ when you look from when you don't look.
    Maybe when nobody looks the fridge light doesn't go on. Apparently Irwin Schrodinger never did figure out if the light inside the box with his cat was on or off either.
    As for the AC adapter, I'll look into that.
    Thanks,
    Robert

11. So sorry, dang it, I missed the battery type, I was using a D800.

12. I didn't think you were using a D3 as there are no coldpacks made for it.
    Robert

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  13. I didn't know there where quantum fridges ;-) As for Schrödinger I'm convinced he made up his equation not to enlighten me but to make me fail the test, and so I did, and I became a marketing guy instead of a physicist.

let me know how it goes with the ac adapter cable if it works....

14. Of course there are.
    Where else would you store Quarks in order to keep them fresh?
    Robert

15. gwh1bass

gwh1bass

Sep 14, 2008
    Lansing MI
    Cut open a battery that didn't hold a charge anymore.
    14012703896_f2b15e24c6_z.
    inside
    Nikon EN-EL4a battery by gwh1bass2000, on Flickr

16. Nikon makes a dummy battery that allows one to connect an external source ie power supply to the Nikon camera, I got the ac brick and the adapter from my dealer, it is a real Nikon made, so it was expensive. I should think you would be able to find third party ones on amazon or ebay.

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

" and how many times have you used it? " - Georgie Beagle

17. Pawl

Pawl

Aug 10, 2013
    EC
    Can you ask Georgie to sniff the dummy battery and let us know whether it has any electronic compoenents inside, or is it purely passive?

18. Georgie Did the sniff test. ( and she used some go old fashioned investigative work with a capacitance meter) and determined that there are some components are in the unit. Between two of the input leads, there are four connectors she found a 12 nf capacitance. I tried to open it but it is glued together, so no joy here.

The camera knows it is not a battery as the battery item in the camera menu is greyed out.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

" mom, where is my oscilloscope? " -Georgie Beagle

19. Pawl

Pawl

Aug 10, 2013
    EC
    Thank you is definitely interesting.
    Please give Georgie a nice treat and some love as thanks for her sterling work :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.