Anyone been to Cabo?

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by JeffKohn, Jan 4, 2006.

1. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Since we didn't get to take our Grand Teton/Yellowstone trip last fall due to Hurricane Rita, we've decided to take a winter trip somewhere. It's my wife's turn to choose and she wanted somewhere warm/tropical so I think we're going to go to Cabo. Has anybody been? We'll probably be there for 5 days/4 nights. I'm leaning towards staying at one of the hotels right on Land's End since it seems like a convenient location and should offer good sunrise/sunset shooting opportunities.

If anybody has any tips on photo hotspots, photographer-friendly excursions, etc I'd love to hear them. Also more general info about Cabo would be welcome since we've never been there. I figure we'll probably want to go snorkling and sea-kayaking, and maybe an ATV excursion into the desert. Is it worth getting a rental car and exploring further out, or would it be better/easier/safer to just stick close to Cabo San Lucas with the occasional taxi ride to San Jose del Cabo?

We're looking to go in late February so I'm probably going to be booking the trip pretty soon. Any tips on places to stay/eat (or avoid) would be welcome; right now I'm considering Solmar Suites as the place to stay.

Thanks,

2. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    Cabo

Hi, Jeff

I just came back from Cabo last week. My wife had won a trip there - we stayed at the Hilton in the "corridor" between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo.

There's not a lot of "exciting" photographic subjects there, but that's certainly not to state that there's nothing to photograph.

We did rent a car and took a drive to the town of Todos Santos, about an hour north of Cabo. On the left is ocean, sea breaking on rocks, on the right is desert with cacti, brush, and a mountain range in the distance. Beautiful, but not much different from one mile to the next. Todos Santos is a cute town, a Sedona wanna-be, and has some interesting details.

I did not feel that the towns of Cabo or San Jose were very attractive.

There's lots of rocky beach in the Cabo area and some palm trees which I used for sunset shots.

The hotels in the corridor are much quieter than the Cabo hotels. The Cabo beaches are in the "action" where all the tour boats, motor boats, glass bottom boats, etc crowd the ocean (in my opinion).

I did go parasailing one day and brought my new D200 up in the air with me. The panorama around Los Arcos from that height is stunning! I'd attach a picture, but for some reason, I'm not allowed to.

Have fun!

DAB

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Please try to find out why you can't post your images, we would enjoy seeing your images. If you are using a trial version of Pbase, I don't believe that you can post from the trial version format. If that isn't the reason, PM Patrick Bramlett or Paul aka Monte Dog and ask their opinion. Half the fun of being a member of the Cafe is posting your images.

4. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    parasailing in Cabo

OK, Frank. I've placed the image I wanted to post in one of my pbase galleries and linked to it. I hope this works. Thanks for your help!

large.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Worked like a champ and well worth the time to figure it out...WOW, what a beautiful capture. Looks like Cabo is the place to bring one's camera.

6. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    DAB, thanks for sharing your experience. And I agree with Frank, that's a great shot. I take it this was some sort of aerial tour, was it something you'd recommend?

7. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    Cabo

This shot was taken while parasailing. You go out on a motorboat, and they harness you to a parachute which is attached by a line to the boat. The boat starts moving faster and then they let out the line until you're high in the air and they fly you around for about 10 minutes and then reel you back in. They reel you right back on to the boat - you never get wet.

I did this for free as it was arranged and paid for by my wife's company. But if you stay at Solimar or any of the hotels right in Cabo, you can probably just walk on to the beach (past all the Mexicans trying to sell you jewelry, beads, hats, tatoos, plates...) and find a company that can take you. Otherwise the concierge can get you a brochure.

It's fun, but short. But it may have been short for me because it was free and a lot of people wanted to do it.

DAB

8. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    D'oh! I read that in your first post and then promptly forgot. :redface: So you felt it was reasonably-risk free to take your camera, or did you take protective measures?

Regards,

9. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    I watched about 5 people go before me and the boatmen seemed fully in control, with everyone going up and down gracefully and easily. But after I was harnessed and ready to go up, the guy said "meester, we no gonna pay if your camera breaks". I took the leap of faith and it was fine. But Jeff, I no gonna pay if your camera breaks!

BTW, I just got the D200 and I hadn't even gotten it insured yet. Guess I'm dumb, but it was too great a photo-op to resist.

Here's another pic on the beach outside my hotel at dusk. 76 seconds, ISO 100, no noise reduction:

large.

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Wow, you're pretty brave. :wink: I had planned to bring the D70 as a backup in case something happened to the D2x. If I go up, maybe I'll take the D70 instead of the D2x. (everything is insured, but still I'd hate to lose the use of the D2x if something happened to it).

Great shot!!!

11. matrix1272

matrix1272 Guest

Is that Cabo, or Cabool?

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Sorry, have no idea where Cabool is. Was referring to Cabo, Mexico (specifically Cabo San Lucas which is where I'll be staying).

13. Jeff,

Was in Cabo a few years ago, staying at the Hilton in the corridor. Nice hotel with a horizon pool, and a beach that has been used for model shoots. 47590404.MorningPool.

Whales are still around in the Sea of Cortez at the end of February, so there could be some good opportunities. They can be elusive, but the potential for a good shot does exist. 24966854.WhaleFlukes. (The 5700 is not the best for capturing fleeting moments. This one of my first pictures with my 5700).

The beaches are nice, but absolutely not safe for swimming. The drop from the beach to depth is quite sudden, strong rip currents and heavy wave action.

Well worth the visit, and the golf course just north of the Hilton is great.

Regards,

Mark