Anyone considering the new Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 Sport?

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sports lens for Nikon F-mount now in stock, comparison with other 70-200mm lenses - Nikon Rumors

It's now in-stock at certain vendors and I saw Digital Goja on Amazon (authorized Sigma dealer) had a pretty good package deal (now sold out) with a bunch of extras (bag, filter, soft case), plus the USB dock for the same retail price as the other camera gear vendors. I have a feeling this lens will probably drop in price similar to the Tamron 70-200mm G2. Sharpness test look good as well!

Real Name
Andrew
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sports lens for Nikon F-mount now in stock, comparison with other 70-200mm lenses - Nikon Rumors

It's now in-stock at certain vendors and I saw Digital Goja on Amazon (authorized Sigma dealer) had a pretty good package deal (now sold out) with a bunch of extras (bag, filter, soft case), plus the USB dock for the same retail price as the other camera gear vendors. I have a feeling this lens will probably drop in price similar to the Tamron 70-200mm G2. Sharpness test look good as well!
It depends...I need something that will work properly with the Z6...so looking at an upgraded Tamron G2, this Sigma you mentioned or the Nikon 70-200/2.8 (gen I or II). I know the Nikon will work, but I've had bad times with Sigma lenses, better with Tamron..but my Gen 1 Tammy 70-200/2.8 VC does not like playing with the Z6. Works fine on the D500/D5/D750/D700...but mirrorless is a no-go.

So, I'll be waiting for my local store to get one in so I can test it out. I can probably get a used Tamron G2 for a decent price now and I have a friend who has one that I can test.

It depends...I need something that will work properly with the Z6...so looking at an upgraded Tamron G2, this Sigma you mentioned or the Nikon 70-200/2.8 (gen I or II). I know the Nikon will work, but I've had bad times with Sigma lenses, better with Tamron..but my Gen 1 Tammy 70-200/2.8 VC does not like playing with the Z6. Works fine on the D500/D5/D750/D700...but mirrorless is a no-go.

So, I'll be waiting for my local store to get one in so I can test it out. I can probably get a used Tamron G2 for a decent price now and I have a friend who has one that I can test.
Sigma was way faster getting their lenses FW updated versus Tamron. Also their dock is more readily available and often given away for free as a package deal. The only issue is the way Sigma's zoom ring rotates. It usually follows the Canon direction, which causes confusion if shooting multiple bodies and lenses.

Honestly I'm not a fan of Tamron build quality, since many of their lenses just feel plasticky to me. Sigma lenses just feel solid and are all made in Japan. Even their switches and dials are still hand-painted. They don't utilize as much automation unlike the other brands!

Real Name
Ian
The Sigma is the heaviest of the 70-200’s, and is more expensive than a Tamron G2 (new or used). Tamron has already updated the 70-200 G2, and if it performs anywhere near how my Tamron 17-35 does, then it might as well be 1st party glass.

While I understand why Sigma released this lens, I don’t know why you would get it over the lighter and cheaper Tamron. Personally, I would pick up a lightly used VR2 and call it a day. That’s what I did, and I’m beyond pleased with the lens (focus breathing isn’t an issue for me).

Real Name
Andrew
The Sigma is the heaviest of the 70-200’s, and is more expensive than a Tamron G2 (new or used). Tamron has already updated the 70-200 G2, and if it performs anywhere near how my Tamron 17-35 does, then it might as well be 1st party glass.

While I understand why Sigma released this lens, I don’t know why you would get it over the lighter and cheaper Tamron. Personally, I would pick up a lightly used VR2 and call it a day. That’s what I did, and I’m beyond pleased with the lens (focus breathing isn’t an issue for me).
Are you 100% happy with the Tammy G2 on the Z6?

This weekend, I wanted to run the D5/24-70 and Z6/70-200... But that didn't pan out, so I swapped lenses between the bodies and all was well.

I just can't afford to have a missed shot. If the G2 is as reliable as a native Nikon, then if rather go that route as my tech record with sigma on DSLRs is anything but stellar.

Real Name
Ian
I dont have a 70-200 G2, I have a Nikon VR2, and it’s rock-solid. I do have a Tamron 17-35, and what i was saying was that if a G2 is as good as that lens, then it should be fine. But given how much VR2’s have come down in cost for used copies, why not just go the safe route and get the Nikon lens?

Real Name
Andrew
I dont have a 70-200 G2, I have a Nikon VR2, and it’s rock-solid. I do have a Tamron 17-35, and what i was saying was that if a G2 is as good as that lens, then it should be fine. But given how much VR2’s have come down in cost for used copies, why not just go the safe route and get the Nikon lens?
Oh, I absolutely will if I find one at a good price. Luckily, I'm in no rush to get one right now.

Based on how well the Z6 is performing, I think my best course of action right now is to start looking at native f-mount OEM or Z Mount lenses. I'm really looking the idea of that 14-30/4... And I think that the 70-200/2.8S will probably be awesome... Just not $2600 awesome.

I'm just thinking it loud at the moment, honestly... Just trying to figure out the best way to settle in to the Nikon mirrorless.

If you want lightweight, that's what the 70-200 f4 is for. Also looking at potential price deprecation and/or price reductions, the Sigma 70-200 2.8 Sport will eventually sell refurb'ed or used closer to the $1k range and I have no doubt Sigma will lower the price during the holidays or on special sales. All these lenses are good, so it really depends on your shooting needs.

Just got back into a Nikon system and have ordered the Nikkor 70-200 E. I need instant and accurate af with that lens so went with the native option. Everyone says it’s a stellar lens.

One thing to keep in mind, is that the Sigma lens (at least the ones that I've seen), the zoom ring turns in the opposite direction than the Nikon zoom ring. Depending on how you use the lens, this may be a critical issue. When I shoot sports, I zoom with muscle memory. My hand knows which way to turn the zoom ring. When I used a Sigma lens, I kept turning the zoom ring the wrong way, and loosing shots. After 20 minutes of that, I was so frustrated that I gave up and put the Sigma away.

If you don't work FAST and zoom with muscle memory, then the opposite turning zoom ring does not matter.

One thing to keep in mind, is that the Sigma lens (at least the ones that I've seen), the zoom ring turns in the opposite direction than the Nikon zoom ring. Depending on how you use the lens, this may be a critical issue. When I shoot sports, I zoom with muscle memory. My hand knows which way to turn the zoom ring. When I used a Sigma lens, I kept turning the zoom ring the wrong way, and loosing shots. After 20 minutes of that, I was so frustrated that I gave up and put the Sigma away.

If you don't work FAST and zoom with muscle memory, then the opposite turning zoom ring does not matter.
I've decided to trim out my Sigma glass, even though it's optically excellent. Maybe I'm getting old, I just don't like hauling around heavy gear anymore! Lighter the better!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom