Anyone converted D700 to IR?

I've looked several conversion sites. Which company you think is the best? What about the different wavelengths? Any tips and caveats?

Peter - a slightly off topic question...
I can't remember, is the F100 able or unable to shoot IR film? I remember at one point a few of the Nikon bodies wreaked havok on IR film due to te IR focus beam. The last IR rolls I shot were with the F3. I don't recall ever trying with the F5 or F100. Thanks.

I think you'll find most people are using LifePixel. Whether that's because they're the best or the most popular - hopefully someone will clarify...

Jim Chen did a wonderfull job in converting my D70 to IR and I got it back in less than 2 weeks. He also charged me a lot less than the big name IR converters. He appears to be traveling right now, but here's the link to his website & you might be able to contact him there - http://www.jimchenphoto.com/

There's an IR device that checks the shutter timing or some such that apparently makes the D700 a poor candidate - there's a thread on nikongear about it that I'm struggling to turn up immediately.

I was going to have Jim (nice guy) convert a D40, but eventually read that it was best to convert a D70. I ended up buying a used D70IR (somebody else did the conversion to their camera, then sold it already converted) for $350. I think the D700 is way to useful of a camera. Maybe 2-3 years from now, if it is even possible and good to convert a D700, but the camera is selling for close to it's original MSRP. You could sell it for $2k and buy a couple of D70IRs. I think people buy them, and then get tired of IR quickly. I continue to enjoy my IR having moved from 720 and 850 filters on the older, original DSLRs that would easily accommodate them, to a converted camera.

In fact, I have found the 16-35vr to be an excellent match for the D70 as I think I have determined it to require no focus adjustment at 16mm, although I have not confirmed this other than field testing.

Here is a recent shot with a D70 and a 16-35, no IR Focus shift required:

DSC_3217.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom