1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

anyone else corpsed their SB-800??

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Tuka, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Tuka

Tuka

Aug 12, 2007
    Finland
    hi

well i think it was my fault, i was fooling around with it, and i suppose it overheated and some part melted :eek:  (though no smoke)

but now it dosent flash anything and dosent even make that noise of loading the charge for the flash..

am i the only one who has done it, or ? :biggrin:

if anyone else has done it, how much was the repair ???

-Atte

2. I have a cooked sb 800 in repairs at the moment. The flash tube part was about £15, toatl repair = £90!!!

3. tbarnette

tbarnette Guest

I'd like to know what you were doing at the time. I "fool around" with my stuff sometimes and I don't want to do what you did.

4. Tuka

Tuka

Aug 12, 2007
    Finland
    more precise word would be that i was being idiot with my flash ;)  well lets blame it on my brother :biggrin:

i gave sb-800 to him so he would drain AA accus with it... M mode 1/1 power... well now i can see how stupid it was (after paying for new flash, neste oil rally finland starts tomorrow...)

it seemed like a smart idea at the time though... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

well it simply over heated and ... thats it :) 

ps. iam lucky owner of 2 sb-800's now ;)  so i can start doing "studio" stuff when i get the other one repaired :tongue:

-Atte

edit: PS. i also noticed sb-800 dosent have any thermal protection :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  5. they make battery chargers that will drain batteries
    MAHA makes a great one that I use that will recondition the battery before charging it

6. I've fried a pair of SB800's. One cost $158 to fix, the other is still broken. Someone here posted a "how to" about replacing the flash bulb...let me see if I can find it...

7. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Get a child's toy that uses AA batteries. Any toy will do. No matter which one, those toys suck batteries dry faster than a vampire... :eek: 

8. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Haven't cooked one yet, but I had one die after I dropped it on a shoot. Just reached the 'Bill' stage at Melville after a month in the shop. Luckily, there are more in the Speedlight herd, which will be joined by an SB900 later today :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.