anyone else corpsed their SB-800??

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Tuka, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Tuka

Tuka

Aug 12, 2007
    Finland
    hi

well i think it was my fault, i was fooling around with it, and i suppose it overheated and some part melted :eek: (though no smoke)

but now it dosent flash anything and dosent even make that noise of loading the charge for the flash..

am i the only one who has done it, or ? :biggrin:

if anyone else has done it, how much was the repair ???

-Atte

2. I have a cooked sb 800 in repairs at the moment. The flash tube part was about £15, toatl repair = £90!!!

3. tbarnette

tbarnette Guest

I'd like to know what you were doing at the time. I "fool around" with my stuff sometimes and I don't want to do what you did.

4. Tuka

Tuka

Aug 12, 2007
    Finland
    more precise word would be that i was being idiot with my flash ;) well lets blame it on my brother :biggrin:

i gave sb-800 to him so he would drain AA accus with it... M mode 1/1 power... well now i can see how stupid it was (after paying for new flash, neste oil rally finland starts tomorrow...)

it seemed like a smart idea at the time though... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

well it simply over heated and ... thats it :)

ps. iam lucky owner of 2 sb-800's now ;) so i can start doing "studio" stuff when i get the other one repaired :tongue:

-Atte

edit: PS. i also noticed sb-800 dosent have any thermal protection :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  5. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    they make battery chargers that will drain batteries
    MAHA makes a great one that I use that will recondition the battery before charging it

6. I've fried a pair of SB800's. One cost $158 to fix, the other is still broken. Someone here posted a "how to" about replacing the flash bulb...let me see if I can find it...

7. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Get a child's toy that uses AA batteries. Any toy will do. No matter which one, those toys suck batteries dry faster than a vampire... :eek:

8. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Haven't cooked one yet, but I had one die after I dropped it on a shoot. Just reached the 'Bill' stage at Melville after a month in the shop. Luckily, there are more in the Speedlight herd, which will be joined by an SB900 later today :biggrin: