Anyone else doing a non-traditional Thanksgiving meal?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

We are having fresh oysters from Duxbury Oysters which I work right next door to and lobster... and a side of mac 'n cheese. I can't wait!!

My wife admiringly comments about all the stuff I learn here at the Cafe that has nothing to do with photography. As an example, until two days ago I had never heard of splatch-cocked poultry. That was until it was discussed in this thread. I tried it tonight on my guinea fowl cooked for Thanksgiving dinner. My notes indicate to cook it whole for 50 - 60 minutes. When I cooked it splatch-cocked, it was perfectly done in 30 minutes. Both the breast meat and dark meat were juicy and the skin was nicely browned. Indeed, I didn't realize the breast meat could be so juicy, as it's only about the fourth or fifth time I've cooked guinea fowl. From now on, I can't imagine cooking fowl without splatch-cocking it.

I was wondering if my kitchen shears, which are really designed for cutting vegetables, would be up to the task of cutting the bone. They worked fine, though if I ever splatch-cock a larger bird such as a turkey, I would certainly buy a pair of poultry shears.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom