Anyone else have a shot from their first roll?

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by W.Ray, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Josef's earlier posting of a pic from his first roll of film got me thinking about this shot, unfortunately of myself (taken by a friend with my camera). It's scan of a photo from my first roll of film developed. Taken in 1968 whilst serving in the Big Green Machine in Frankfurt A.M. I had been stationed there for 3 or 4 months when one of my roommates mentioned that he was going downstairs to the darkroom. What darkroom? The one in the basement with all the free film, chemicals and paper that you could ever use! So, he showed me the ropes and I was off and running. Picture done to send home to my folks.

[​IMG]

Anyone else want to play in this thread? I'd love to see some of your first developed pics.

2. Ray, great Idea, I DO have mine, from 1954 !!! but it will take a few days to dig it out - still have the first neg, first print, and the CAMERA !!!!
    thanks for bringing this up - I'll go find it........
    dit

3. LOL, I have mine too! First camera and first film! But I was only 8 at the time, so Fox Develping did the honors - I didn't go into a darkroom until college and that was in 1982. I'll scan mine when I get a chance! Definitely a fun thread!

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    There is no way I am old enough to have taken these photos 38 years ago!

But at the time, I was like ... a hippie, but my girlfriend wasn't. So instead of 'going to san-fran-cisco' for the Summer of Love, we went to Rocky Point, Sonora with my parent's popup Coleman camper and my Instamatic 104.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Film: black and white, developer: regular developer (?), the girl: Marilyn C.
    I found another photo from that roll as well, but I have no idea who's in it ... :Wink: :Wink:
    [​IMG]

5. Very cool.

Anything from that time in my life (the 70s) is long gone, destroyed when I left the East Coast and fled west. I probably shot film before that (college) but I don't have any memory of it, so I'll consider that (long gone) my "first."

Not that I have any of them anyway. :frown:

Just as well as I'm devoid of photographic enthusiasm this week.

6. JoeG

JoeG

Nov 2, 2006
    Tyrol, Austria
    lol, funny idea!

For me it wasn't that difficult to post a shot from my first roll of BW film I ever shot simply because I shot it only a few weeks ago :wink:

7. WOW Dit, I'm looking forward to see that (the image & the camera, I hope).

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That's sad Ed. Photographs are supposed to be a link to the past, so when they disappear along with the actual memories ... well, that's bad. However, you have ample memory making stuff around you now, that it really doesn't matter. I hope your enthusiasm returns soon, and in force, cause you are my photo-hero!

9. I don't feel heroic, but some of the photos I did of my sister's art installation are apparently going to be used in a newpaper article. I hopefully will get credit, though I told my sister she can give them the photos regardless of them doing that. If they do, I will be published for the first time. Well, second time technically, but the first wasn't really publication so much as use in a product.

10. Great photos everyone. I would have my first photo's somewhere in storage on the East Coast of the US along with my first camera, Kodak Instamatic of some sort. Can those 126? film cartridges still be bought anywhere?

Ed, hope you get your love of photography returns, since I always enjoy your photos and opinions.

11. I have a pile of rolls to develop and I think tonight I will mix up new stuff and go for it. That should relieve the funk!

12. Hi Lynn, Ferrania still make these - in the US, this place is one that stocks it, in the UK there's this place.
    I second that, I've enjoyed viewing your work.

13. Cool stuff, Ray! I'm not sure I even remember what's my first film... But I enjoy looking. I wish there are more coming!

14. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    My first photos were on disk film...NO IDEA where those went.

15. Okay, taken at the age of 8 with a little kodak instamatic 128 I think. My sister and Sam the doberman around Christmas time. I haven't found the actual 1rst roll yet - I thought since it's my first camera ya'll would be forgiving - my first pics were taken in New Orleans after Momma bought me the little camera. I found one pic, but don't know how to restore part of it. Hope I didn't booboo to badly!

433895268_258fcb4629_m.

16. I took this picture of downtown Toronto out of an airplane window when I was a kid. It was my first time flying (going on a transatlantic flight to visit family in Europe).

Taken in 1979 using (I believe) a kodak 110 camera.

[​IMG]