anyone else having problems with the rubber expanding?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Wilk, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hey all,

This has been a problem reported by some in dpr. It has hit me too. I live in south fl, and I sweat like a pig. Especially, the rubber on the right side as you look at the back - with the cutouts for the usb, power and video connects expanded to the point where it just would not stay down. No matter how much or often I pushed it back in, it buckled. After very careful inspection this morning, I realized that it was because the rubber had expanded to the point to where the top most and bottom most edges at the very end of the rubber (towards the back of the cam) had expanded to the point where it was impossible to seat the rubber without a buckle - very annoying.

SO... I grabbed a pair of Fiskers (they are those light aluminum scissors that are super sharp) and trimmed perhaps a 32nd of an inch off the bottom of the rubber - the cut turned out to be pretty neat (as in accurate, not cool :roll: ) and I'm happy to report that the rubber now seats well. I was out with it for 5 hours tonight (again, sweating like a pig) and it didn't give me any trouble at all, nor has it tried to pop out. I do reapply pressure to the seating at the back every now and again just to make sure, but it's working great so far.

Also, the rubber on the cf card door has shown signs of being a little loose, but I have used the pressure method to that a few times, and it's staying seated just fine.

Dunno if anyone else has had these problems. I've heard anecdotal info that it is caused by sweat, oil from the skin or both - it has to be one, the other or both, because my cam is constantly exposed to those conditions when in use, which is a LOT.

2. marc

marc Guest

i have just sent my d2h, back to melville for service and to either replace or repair the rubber.

it was coming away at the 2 points where it should be seamed under the camera body on the grip side.

i did not really feel bothered by this, just like to take good care of my cameras

3. rebrewer

rebrewer

Aug 1, 2005
    Davis, CA
    I wipe down my gear with a slightly damp cotton cloth after shooting around salt water, or if I've been sweating a lot. It seems to make a difference after the years.

Bob