1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Anyone Else Plan On Getting The Z6

Discussion in 'Nikon Z Mirrorless Forum' started by Panther, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Besides little 'ol me?

• Like Like x 1
  2. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    Not me. My next camera will almost certainly be a Nikon Z, but I'm content to wait for more lenses and gen 2 or 3 bodies. I don't see any reason to buy a Z body to use F mount lenses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. It depends on what day it is. Yesterday, no. Today, the thought crossed my mind. :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign

Mar 14, 2017
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I am quite interested in the Z6 as an update to my D750, but I am waiting to read user reviews of the Z6 before I commit to a purchase. Tamron lens incompatibility with the FTZ (and any future solutions to improve issues) is also a concern...

• Like Like x 1
  5. +1 and LOL

6. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Not me!
    I am fortunate in owning the superb D5 and have no interest in replacing it with a slow-response Mirrorless camera which is unsuited to the ways in which I work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I was getting mildly interested until I calculated that with the FTZ adapter it weighs essentially the same as a D750, thus no advantage.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  8. I have one on pre-order, but I'm not sure if I'll follow through. The one benefit for shooting mirrorless is the slight body size reduction, silent shutter and precise wide open focus performance. Since I also shoot Sony via a Nikon AF adapter, I'm not in a particular rush since Sony is addressing most my needs while using Nikon glass.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I had originally preordered then changed my mind and got a little D5600 as a small carry around camera. Right now I am pretty happy with my current options. I still have my Olympus mirrorless system, but haven't shot with it since I got the D5600. I am trying to decide whether or not to keep it. At some point I'm sure I will go with a full frame mirrorless camera. But not yet. Can't wait to hear how the early adopters like the Z cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I was thinking about it. I have a D800 and D300. I still use both, but I want better high ISO performance than the D800 gives me, and even though I am a landscape shooter, I am not convinced I need all the pixels the Z7 offers. I seriously doubt I would miss 12 MP going to a Z6 from my D800. But if the ISO is clean at 3200 or higher, man I would love it!

• Like Like x 1
  11. I have been reading the various reviews and comments from users as the Z7 has finally hit the streets and at this point I am still leaning in the direction of going with Sony, either the A7III or the A7RIII, as the Sony system is more developed in terms of having native lenses available and I really prefer using native lenses rather than messing with adapters and older lenses. In the meantime I have been very much enjoying the Sony R10 M4 that I bought this summer as well as the RX100 M6; both cameras are terrific at what they do.

12. Yep, definitely. I think I belong to the 0.5% who prefer fewer megapixels. Hell, if they made the Z6 16mp I would have ordered it already.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. I have been thinking about it and continue to do so. As Jim (Pa) points out though, there is little sense in changing from a D750 in terms of weight and the only thing that makes me think Z6 in that comparison is the spread of focus points in the viewfinder. As far as mirrorless goes, the Nikon launch caused me to also look at others and that led me to widen the scope. For example, I note that another member is achieving great results with a Leica CL and the "kit" zoom lens. Superb results albeit "only" APS-C. Then I noticed that the new medium format Fuji GFX50R actually weighs less than the D750. Bit of a price difference there though. On balance, I have been delighted with what the D750 and D7200 give me and I will probably stick with them. Depending on what a D760 brings to the table... Another factor is that, having been bitten by the Nikon price drop on the D600 within a couple of weeks of launch, plus the splatter problem, I will not buy at Nikon launch again. I like them, but I'm not blind.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Cslucas34

Cslucas34

Oct 8, 2018
    Well now that I own a Z7, I can say that the design and form / function is amazingly well done. The new S lenses are amazing and very high quality. Even the kit lens is a stunner. If you guys choose to get the Z6, I am sure you will be happy with it. Originally I was leaning towards the 850 but after talking with some Nikon peeps, all of their R and D are is being poured into the new Z cams and S lenses so it’s the wave of the future... figured I’d future proof
    Myself as much as I could!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Understood.
    I'm thinking about getting the 24-70 f4 package with it and perhaps the 50 f1.8...

16. Understood again.
    My reasons are that I'd like a full frame to pair with my D500. I was originally thinking used D610 but not anymore....

17. If you have the D5, I don't blame you! That being said, I don't think the Z6 nor the Z7 are the flagship mirrorless bodies that can be compared to the D5. I'd say give Nikon at least a year before their flagship mirrorless body arrives....:) 

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. I cancelled my pre-order for the Z6. Going to wait a while to make a decision. I keep thinking a refurb or grey market D750 is what I really should get. On the other hand, the pictures from the Z7 I am seeing look really good :) 

Indecision may or may not be my problem.....

• Like Like x 1
  19. I'm not sure there will be a D760. I'm convinced that Z6 is it.

20. I had my D750 bodies serviced for the worldwide recall fix and they are rock solid now. I'd say the D750 the best bang-for-buck FF DSLR in Nikon's line-up. The only camera that matches and exceeds it in specs is the Sony A7III.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.