Anyone ever been to Tunisia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lowlight_junkie, Dec 15, 2005.

1. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    On the verge of booking my next holiday, bearing in mind that photo ops are 75% of ther reason I go away could anyone give me there impressions of this the place and the potential photography wise?
    Much appreciated

2. I have been there, albeit just passing through. On my way back from the Gulf of Guinea on a deployment there, we flew into a Tunisain air base and stayed for about an hour or so fueling up. I did not stay long but I do remember that I want to go back, especially to Tunis (where we flew into). There is a lot there to photograph and has a great deal of potential. This is only from a very limited experience there. I wish I could help you out more.

God Bless,
    David

3. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Hi David, anything at all helps to be honest.The fact that you consider it a good enough place to revisit is a good sign. For some reason i cannot find anyone who has been there.
    Thanks for your reply

4. I have been there for business a number of years back (short while in Tunis).
    Tunis is a city with great contrast. A mix of beautiful large palmed boulevards and delightful little shopping streets and markets - great photo opps. I ended up taking a walk in a cimetary not far from downtown that was sprawled out over some hills. Huge and very beautiful, really. Very hot in summer also!

5. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Thanks for that Frits, It does look like a beautifull place but don't they all in the brochures? The small markets etc is exactly what I am looking for.
    Thanks again

6. I have been there in the mid 80s on a biology excursion from university. Very nice and diverse country. While the north (incl. the coast and the share in the Atlas range) is very mediterranean, you get an idea of the Sahara desert the more you are heading south. The Atlas is quite thickly forested, the coast and surroundings of Ichkeul-lake look almost like in Sardegna. But the most impressive parts in my memory were traversing the Shot-el-Djerid and walking across the sand dunes and along the oasis water channels in the surroundings of Douz, Tozeur and Nefta.
    Also, try to purchase "Piment de Harissa" - IMO the best spice in the world. You get it on any of the many bazars.

During our stay in Douz we were forced to leave the place and move north to Hammamet when American planes bombed Tripolis. Hammamet is very touristic (which I didn't like) but an exucrsion to Cape Bonne was absolutely worth it.

I, too would like to visit that country again, preferably the less touristic portions.

Unfortunately, I have no scans of the slides I made then.

Cheers

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Chaz, I haven't been personally but was a travel agent for many years a while back. One of my employees traveled there and liked it. I seem to recall seeing a site a while back that highlighted some ruins that were there. It was complete with photos. I'm sure a google search would turn up something useful.

9. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Thanks Kevin, this is my first real break in four years and a chance to spend some time with my young daughter (also a keen photographer) Can't wait to be honest I really need the time away!

10. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Chaz,
    Our son has lived in Tunis for many years--since the late 70's. He married a Tunisian lady...He has lived there ever since. We visited them there in late 80's and it was interesting. Tunisia is very western because of the French influence. Also we went to the Souk which is a huge market..You can get lost in it but it would be great for photos (but hang on to your camera because it's very crowded) . You'd want to get a guide or someone to help get into it and out of it. I kept waiting for Humphrey Bogart to show up in the Souk. AND don't pay the prices..They expect you to dicker about every price they have..
    I think you'd enjoy going there and your child will learn a great deal. Just remember it's not fancy and you see a bit of everything. That's what makes it interesting. Also try to get around to the museums and the historic sites.

Good luck and I'll look for your photos when you return,
    Gaye

11. Yes I have been there and you should have a ball. The area is very diverse from the markets of Tunis and Sousse to the Roman amphitheatre at Eljem and a tour into the Sahara is easily arranged and the Atlas Mountains are very impressive with wide dry river beds that make their way to the sea. Fancy swopping the wife for a camel? If so go to Nabuel Camel Market.
    Look out for arabs riding horses along the shoreline at dusk on their stallions. Fabulous.
    One word of warning. In June to August Tunisia has the highest UV penetration in North Africa, so watch that sun.
    Good luck. Bob F.

12. HansV

HansV Guest

If you like ancient Roman ruins you should visit Douggha: it is a Roman city where you can walk through the streets and go into the (remains of) the houses. Very impressive and endless photo opportunities. There is also Chemtou.
    Kairouan is a lovely city worth a visit.
    In the north (close to the border with Algeria) the mountains descend into the sea resulting in beautiful landscapes (Tabarka).

Hans

13. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Well so many responses, thanks to all. It sounds like I am going to have a great time and look forward to boring you all with my holiday pictures on my return in Febuary :)

14. In this case make sure to bring some warm clothes. I caught a terrible cold in Feb. on the coast near Tabarka.

BTW - Bob made some good additional remarks. It has been so long ago that I forgot about many places I have visited (e.g. El Jem). Also, the mosques in Kairouan are worth a visit - there's a delicate white mosque there, but I forgot the name.

Cheers

15. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Tunisia sounds exciting. I've been to Morroco and Egypt (Sinai) and it was well worth it. Seen a little of the Sahara and the Atlas (in Morocco), and these are fantastic places to photograph.

Time of year can be important. There are some strong, hot southern winds from the Sahara during March/April or perhaps later (in France they call it Mistral, where I live they call it Hamsin, but it's all the same - a warm-hot wind from the Sahara desert, carrying tons of dust and sand) - try to talk to someone familiar with the country and climate before you decide on the time to visit, or get a good tourist guide.

RE-EDIT: Oooops, just saw your post that you will be going soon. There shouldn't be any sand storms during Jan-Feb, but check with someone familiar. Should you ever have real rainfall, watch out - more people drown in the desert than die of dehydration.

16. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Hi guys, no choice on time really. This is the only time I can go so I am just praying the weather holds out. That said I am from the UK so my interperation of cold may well differ from others!

17. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    We got day temps of around 23C and night temps of 14C. That starts to be cold to me. In the desert it gets much colder at night. On the other hand, a place near the sea has a more humid climate. But you're from the UK, so you should be used to both :smile: .

18. Time is perfect! Spring time and lots of flowers in bloom at that time.

19. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    I know this is horribly geeky (and pretty sad), but if I went to Tunisia I'd probably visit some of the Star Wars Tatooine locations and Raiders of the Lost Ark locations. A quick Google of "Tunisia Star Wars" illustrates the fact that many other people think the same -- there are even special tours and I wouldn't go so far as to book an entire vacation around it, but if they were nearby...

Geeky Star Wars trivia:

In the original movie, Luke is standing in Tunisia when he looks down into his aunt and uncle's home, but they are in the home set built in California.

The valley where R2-D2 gets captured by Jawas is also in Tunisia and is also the same valley where the Nazi's are transporting the Ark of the Covenent when Indiana Jones threatens to blow it up.

20. Not so geeky, I would say. This is in Matmata (at least I think so). I have been there but had no idea then that this was the place where that scene was shot. It is impressive even without knowing about the connection to Star Wars. I immediately wanted to move in and live there for a while.