Anyone ever stack TC's

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by wind_walker, Aug 6, 2007.

1. I was reading on another forum about teleconverters, and someone over there had stacked a 1.4 and 2.0 converters together on an f2.8 lens, and had decent results. I realize its less than optimal, but if the wolves are a long way off, and that's the only way to get the reach; its better than no picture at all, right?

Has anyone ever stacked a 1.4 and 1.7 onto a 300 f2.8? Will they even stack together?

Thanks to Alex and Geno, I have a new-to-me 300 f2.8, 1.4 TC and 1.7 TC on the way. I can't wait . . . . my first expensive lens . . . did I say I can't wait?

Anyway, just wondered if I can stack the TCs and play with it.

2. Wow Mike, you have some great grear coming your way! I can't comment on the stacking...just wanted to say "congratulations" on the lens and TCs.

3. Got the 300 f2.8 and the 1.4 from Alex Cena; the 1.7 from Geno. Talked with Alex for a while on the phone . . . what a great guy.

Thanks for the congrats.

4. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    now you need to update your sig. I beleive you have to modify the TC's to allow them to stack. 300X1.7 is 510mm F4.8? which is quite alot. add the 1.4 to that and you get 714mm F6.3? which is still pretty decent. It "might" even still AF.

5. You have to file off the little metal tab to stack them (which would void any warranty I'm sure). John Shaw did something like this in one of his books and talked about how he put one tripod under the camera and another under the lens to hold the 1100mm f8 monster he created.

6. Sandeep posted the "definitive" link to the modification, it is really very simple. In fact, the last one I did, I have done about half a dozen, I didn't even grind off the tab, I just used a small pair of Vise Grips to hold the tab and then bent it back and forth and it popped right off. Two cautions, be careful with the screws so you don't strip them if you take the plate off, and be cautious with the two little "gaskets" that are under the plate. You need to get them back in the correct orientation. Now, if you the "bend and snap" method, you don't have to worry about this.

You cannot stack the 1.4 and the 1.7 together, you can only stack one of them with the 2.0 due to the protruding front on the 1.4 and the 1.7.

As to how do they work, here is an example of the 1.4 plus the 2.0 on a Sigma 500 f4.5 HSM. On the Sigma the multipliers do not get transmitted back to the camera, so the EXIF looks as if no TC was involved.

[​IMG]

I don't do this as a "normal" thing, but once in a while it can be a real help. I have since gotten a 400 f2.8 and with this lens AF will even work, albeit not exactly fast, and I would not be confident in trying to track a moving object this way.

7. Thanks everyone for the tips . . . don't know if I have the guts to modify the TCs . . . maybe I'll use them a while adn think about that later. I have seen pics with just the 2.0 TC, and they look pretty good. Once I get over the shock of the recent purchases . . .maybe I'll start keeping an eye out for a 2.0.

UPS says the 300 2.8 VR will be here Thursday . . . can hardly stand the wait. Thanks again to Alex C for a great deal on a great lens.

8. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
  9. Geeze-Louise!!!! And I thought that I was a bit on the "Radical" side of things :eek::eek::eek:

I just bet your AF is a sight to behold ...... NOT :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Looks like I need to get another 2.0 TC to get close. Let's see 400 * 2 * 2 * 1.7 = oh, crud, not even close!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::wink:

OK, I'll admit it, I'm a piker, but at least I can recognize my subject ..... :smile:

10. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Art Morris, the renowed bird shooter and Canon promoter sometimes stacks teleconverters. His book has an example and it is astonishingly good. There are some examples on http://www.digiscoped.com too. I think that site has examples with both main brands.

My impression from comments of users is that Canon long lenses take multiple teleconverters better than Nikon lenses. Whether this is due to better lenses (use of Flourite which has better dispersion characteristics than ED glass) or better teleconverters, or the ability to use IS to stabilise the image is unclear.

11. I agree. When I owned a Canon 500 mm on a 1d Mk2, I could stack the 1.4 and 2 tcs - and still get center point af on a bright day.

When I bought Nikon, I was disappointed even with a 2x by itself.