Anyone going to the usgp?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by RACING_RYAN, Jun 8, 2007.

1. RACING_RYAN

RACING_RYAN

Jan 29, 2007
    Stockton, CA
    My wife and I are heading back to indianapolis for the usgp next weekend. Are any other nikon cafe members going?

I know this may not be the right form to post this in, but I thought I would get a better responce in here.

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    My wife and I are going, for the 5th straight year. We'll be there Thursday morning for the pit walk, and also hang out at the Hoosier BMWCCA Car Corral over on Main St.

This will be the first year I'm there with my Nikon rig.

3. Ghunger

Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    As long as you post pics I think we can let it slide. :biggrin:

I wish I could go, maybe next year. I'll be watching on TV for sure.

4. I'll be at Indy for the full weekend. Met up with StLDon last year and learned alot (check out his USGP photos!). Anyone want to try to meet up for one of the practice sessions?

5. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    I'm up for a meet. We will be there from Thursday morning (around 10-11) until we leave after the race.

6. Oh, I wish, just for the sound alone! Enjoy! Post lots of pictures!

7. I'll be there for sure.
    Most likely turn 10 for Friday first practice session. Hopefully the turn marshals will be more cooperative this year and keep there heads out of the slot.
    Most likely I'll have my usual Hawaiian shirt and 200-400 lens.

Don

8. Then that's the plan - First Practice on the outside of Turn 10 hopefully shooting thru the corner workers' slot!

9. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    I'll be here too. Friday morning practice, turn 10.

10. RACING_RYAN

RACING_RYAN

Jan 29, 2007
    Stockton, CA
    I definitely would be interested in a meet up but will not be there until saturday.

11. Last year I did qualifying from the grassy knoll across from turn 9. Same deal - Hawaiian shirt.
    I've also got a close cropped beard now as opposed to my avatar photo.

Turn 6 is also a pretty good photo friendly spot. I usually save that for race day since my seats are in that grandstand.

Don

12. Ha! Beginners! I've been here for 52 years! :smile:

Maybe there's some way everyone could meet & greet while in Indy.

13. Met up with StLDon and Racebug during P1 on Friday.

About 10 or so of us were trying to shoot thru the space between two extra-wide flagmen:
    [​IMG]

Don hard at work (the fisheye even makes the flagmen look skinny):
    [​IMG]

Dean and his wife slipped off to another corner before my bride grabbed a group photo:
    [​IMG]

14. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    Yeah, we got there late and couldn't get much in the way of a spot to shoot, so we went over to the other side near turn 8-9. That wasn't a whole lot better. I'm sorry we missed taking part in the group shot. I"m betting the very right edge of the fisheye shot is showing the tip of my 300/4 AFS.

I'm just getting around to going thru all my pictures, so I hope to have some to post later.

Good race though. Hamilton is quite amazing.

15. Hey Ron,
    It was great hooking up with you (in good health) and meeting the lovely good witch:smile:. Glad I didn't get to play with the fish, it's been hard enough fighting the lust for that thing without actually shooting with one.

I have NEVER hit the delete key as much as I have with my USGP shots from this year. Either my 200-400 is out of whack or I managed to get some camera setting hosed. Most are either totally OOF or the focus point is the back wing. Really sucks.

I decided to take Saturday and Sunday off and just enjoy the race and the company of my friend who I usually only get to see once a year at the race. On one hand it was hard thinking of all the shooting I could be doing, but on the other it sure was nice not being burdened by the heavy gear.

I'm still going through all the Friday shots. Here's one that's acceptatble, but still the rear wing is the sharpest.

Christinjen Albers catching a loose rear end in turn 10.

[​IMG]

Don

16. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Is it too late to get tickets to shoot the practice sessions?

17. Not for next year's race, assuming we have one.
    USGP tickets are cheap too, compared to the rest of the F1 races.
    A Friday-Saturday ticket is a whopping $25.00

Don

18. Good to talk to you again too Don. Great cross-up shot! One shot like that makes all the trashed bits worth it to me - enjoy!

19. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    Don, I had the same problem. I have a huge number of shots that are way out of focus or have some other problem. I was beginning to think my camera had a problem. And I had to do a lot of shooting through a fence.

Now Missy and I are having some serious thought about going to Road America in August for the ALMS/ChampCar weekend.