Anyone here doing grunge?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Czechman01, Jul 4, 2007.

1. I was going to post this over in the People/Weddings/whatever forum but I'd rather get some serious input on this. I'm sure this Grunge stuff has been done to death but I'm just starting to play with it.

If anyone here knows of any articles on the Theory or History of this concept I'd appreciate being pointed in that direction.

If anyone wishes to comment (after 30 years in commercial art my skin is pretty thick) please feel free to do so. I'm out of my element with this and here hoping to learn something.

D100-IR, Nikon 18-200 VR
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2007
  2. If I am not mistaken grunge got its start in Seattle in 1991 with the release of Nevermind by Nirvana. I would not be much help with what it has morphed into today. The only reason I know this tidbit of information is because I had a family member that lived there at the time.
  3. Woody, this is an interesting image, full of intrigue and mystery.
    To me, however, it's a little too dark.
    I think it would look better with a levels adjustment.

BTW, how did you do the "grunge"?
    Care to show us your original?

aka beaucamera
  4. Levels adjustment? Gurl, I'm trying to change my evil ways :rolleyes:

Here's the original IR image... adding "grunge" is a matter of downloading a bunch of Grunge Brushes, adding layers, changing blending modes... it's kind of hard to explain.

Of course I changed this to B&W first :wink:
  5. Woody, I'd be the last one not to say...go on "young man" experiment to your heart's content.

I never guessed you'd started with an IR image, lovely in its own right.
    Was the background image, an IR BW conversion too?

aka beaucamera