Anyone here use a Photoflex reflector

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Catz, Jul 21, 2005.

1. I just took my oldest son to have his senior pictures taken and they used a small umbrella and a round gold reflector about 42 inches so I came home and ordered it right away from BH. Also ordered a stand. So much easier than using anything else. I can't wait to try this in my homemade studio.

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Our camera club had a seminar last night by Bill Bachmann (www.billbachmann.com). He told us that he almost never uses fill flash. Just a well placed gold reflector. I plan on trying this myself ASAP.

3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I carry a small 12 inch photoflex reflector with me all the time. Also have a large 5 in 1 that I use in studio or as a diffuser for macro work.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hey!

I have one of those 12 inch Photoflex LiteDisc things too! Folded up it fits right in the pouch I keep my flash in, so it's always handy (when I take my flash.) It's the white/Translucent one, and it works wonders with macro and softening the flash for portraits where I can't bounce off anything.

I keep a rubberband and afix it to my SB50DX so the flash bounces off the reflector. I really like how much it folds up, and the snap! it makes when I get it out is a real attention getter... ;)

5. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Catz, I use one all the time, I have a silver one that is roughly 3 feet across. When taking pictures of one person I'd rather use it than a strobe with a beauty dish. Carols photo was done with it..
    and so was the toads...
    but when it comes to 2 or 3 people I'll usually use a fill light either in an umbrella or the beauty dish. It's tougher to get adequate fill on the people furtherest away from the reflector.
    Sometimes I also use a white reflector under the subject out of view to soften shadows under chins, hat brims etc.
    Reflectors are not the best for everything, but I like them and use'm whenever I can.
    Jarrell

6. I use a reflector whenever I can. Like others, have the little 12" job which is is compact when folded. It's even great for filling in some flowers, just bounce in some natural light. The funny thing about doing portraits with the large one is that each and every time, the subject always reaches out to hold it, even after I say "don't move, I'm just going to place this here and you don't have to hold it" and yet their arm and hand still reach out! *LOL* In a pinch, other things will do, like a newspaper, Tshirt in lap to fill in under the chin, etc. Melissa, I can see you now chasing around the house with camera and reflector just checking how it changes the light! *LOL*
    Give us some samples when you get your new toy.