Anyone in Macland ever go backward?

Regarding their OS, that is. I read about it all the time in Windows forums, people not liking a buggy or unfinished new OS, and reverting back to an older one, but I don't really read much about that here in the Apple forum. Reason I ask is because I am considering moving my laptop back to Snow Leopard from Mountain Lion. 3 apps I use regularly are not hugely ML compatible, or non-existent. I found a work-around for my X-Rite Eye-one software, but not sure I like it. I have not found a Front Row replacement or work-around, and Neo Office has been buggy on ML. Would any of you NOT recommend going backwards for any major reasons?

If you are a LR user, you will be limited to LR 4 unless LR 5 beta's current minimum OS X 10.7 is modified to include earlier OS X releases.

While I may wait to update or upgrade an application if the user chatter seems unusually high for a new release, I have never regressed to an earlier OS X version.

The biggest reason not to go backwards is that you cut yourself off from other software that, at some point, will cease to be supported on the older platform. I ran into issues with snow leopard and the elimination of Rosetta (specifically, my color calibration software was no longer supported). It was easier to replace the few items that were no longer compatible than it was to freeze versions of more important software needed for n efficient workflow.

I am also a big fan of staying up-to-date with the latest security patches, and you're not gung to be able to do that if you regress versions.

Security is the biggest drawback of reverting to or staying with an older version. Apple is being very arrogant and short-sighted in their security update policies. While Microsoft is just now ending support for Windows XP, an OS that debuted in 2001, Apple is rolling out OS versions on a 12-18 month schedule and will only provide security updates and patches for the current and one previous version.

While I am a fan and user of Apple computers, Apple can be a very frustrating company to deal with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was not fully aware of the security issues... seems odd that Apple can't/won't even provide security for Snow Leopard, which is still, IMO, a recent OS, and still plenty in use, especially when Apple's machines are so long-lived!!! Well, I guess I will stick with ML on my laptop, but I am going to stick with SL on my desktop for now, and just have to deal with the issues as they arise. Thanks all!

It happens a lot more often than you'd think, it just gets a lot less media attention. I have lots of friends who have downgraded with every new OSX release due to bugs.

It happens a lot more often than you'd think, it just gets a lot less media attention. I have lots of friends who have downgraded with every new OSX release due to bugs.
Over the years I have held back on upgrading with each release, not so much due to bugs (I have encountered very few) but more because of application dependencies. Pretty common for all major OS releases.

My only heartburn with Apple is their customer-unfriendly security-release support policies. If you are going to a more frequent major release cycle, limiting security fixes to the current and one previous release is unconscionable.

The major reason I asked is because I have been using SL on my desktop now for about 2 years (since I upgraded from Leopard, the original OS on that machine), and have had absolutely 0 problems, security or otherwise...And it just works for all my current apps and usage. Added question: IF I decided to give the downgrade a shot, are there any major problems I have to be aware of going from ML to SL... Is it doable, or will it have major effects on the machine?

Oh, and one more thing: The other option is to upgrade the desktop to ML to match the laptop, but the install disk I would use would be the one that came with the laptop... is this even legal? I want to remain legal with what I do here. :smile: Thanks!!!

The major reason I asked is because I have been using SL on my desktop now for about 2 years (since I upgraded from Leopard, the original OS on that machine), and have had absolutely 0 problems, security or otherwise...And it just works for all my current apps and usage. Added question: IF I decided to give the downgrade a shot, are there any major problems I have to be aware of going from ML to SL... Is it doable, or will it have major effects on the machine?

Oh, and one more thing: The other option is to upgrade the desktop to ML to match the laptop, but the install disk I would use would be the one that came with the laptop... is this even legal? I want to remain legal with what I do here. :smile: Thanks!!!
Just create a bootable clone of the current drive as it stands now before you upgrade and if all else fails, just revert back.

And no, if you have a disk for your laptop that is not the retail version of the OS, you won't be able to use it on machine of a different type. Only the retail version can be used on multiple machines (legalities aside).

Just create a bootable clone of the current drive as it stands now before you upgrade and if all else fails, just revert back.

And no, if you have a disk for your laptop that is not the retail version of the OS, you won't be able to use it on machine of a different type. Only the retail version can be used on multiple machines (legalities aside).
Thank you for that info. That throws that part of the idea out of the window. :smile: I suspected as much...

Might running the older apps under a virtual machine be an option?
That would at least minimize security risks, and allow running newer apps when needed, but even if it can be done, there'd likely be a performance hit

Might running the older apps under a virtual machine be an option?
That would at least minimize security risks, and allow running newer apps when needed, but even if it can be done, there'd likely be a performance hit
It doesn't sound like a very simple solution, either... I like simplicity. :smile:

It doesn't sound like a very simple solution, either... I like simplicity. :smile:
Technically, you'd just install Parallels or your flavor of the month VM software then install an older version of OSX as a virtualization and run it just like it was installed on the machine. It's really not that hard, especially if this software isn't used "commonly".

Well, the whole reason I was considering "back"-grading was for the apps that I use often, but don't work well, or at all, with ML... :wink: But I think for now I will keep on keepin' on with what I'm doing for a while... Prolly will upgrade all to ML soon enough anyway! :smile: And find a way to deal with it!

What apps are you having issues with that aren't compatible with ML yet? Pretty much everyone is on board since it has been out for almost a year now.

I haven't so much gone backward as simply haven't gone forward. I bought my iMac and laptop just before Lion was released specifically because they ran under Snow Leopard. I have a couple of programs that run under Rosetta and didn't really want to upgrade them and create a new workflow. (I still use Word X and Filemaker Pro 6.)

Heck, I still have a Powerbook that runs OS 9. And I still have MacWrite files from the late 1980s.

I have the option to upgrade later if I choose, but I have no compelling reason to do so right now. And my work machine runs Snow Leopard as well.

For what's it worth, Apple has issued a security update and a few Java updates for Snow Leopard in recent weeks, as well as an updated version of Safari. So they haven't abandoned it quite yet anyway.

I think the important thing is to use the operating system that makes sense for you right now. Another option (and I assume your current machine supports Snow Leopard) is to partition your hard drive and run Snow Leopard on one partition and Mountain Lion on the other. You would have to reboot to switch, but it gives you the best of both worlds. Please note that I don't think this will work with newer machines.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Partly. I tried Windows 7 and 8 on my MacPro under VMWare. It was not pretty so I walked away. Currently I can live with Lion with configuration adjustments making it perform more closely to Snow Leopard. The Mac, as they say, is easier to use...for me. As for Smartphones and Tablets I completely walked away after three generations of iPhones and an iPad. Android platforms significantly outperform iOS devices for my needs in terms of functionality and performance. I did sell my MacAir last year and re-purchased one a month ago. There are some functions a notebook does which tablets can't match.

What apps are you having issues with that aren't compatible with ML yet? Pretty much everyone is on board since it has been out for almost a year now.
Right now, my original Eye-One software doesn't work with it... I found a work around, through X-rite, but I'm not sure I like it. I could buy new, but that's pricy. Neo Office, but word document program, doesn't seem to like ML too well. Front Row, which my wife and kids are used to using for movies on the computer, is gone in ML.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom