Anyone interested in an f5?

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Nuteshack, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i just picked one up today (part of a package), way too much camera for me...thought i would run by u all here before listing it on the For Sale thread ....:biggrin:

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Heh. I'll bet it could eat your D50, eh? :Wink:

You might want to play with it a bit before selling it. It is "the best camera ever made" ya know. Put your 180 or 80-200 on it if you want to see what high speed focusing is all about. Then put your 35 on it, load a roll of film, set it to CH and spend about 5 seconds with your finger on the button.

I used an F5 to shoot all 200 slides for my school project in one day, thanks to the its interface.

3. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

tell me Chris...i think this cam would spit out a third party lens ..lol..talk about rock n roll:Guns:
    anyway, it's got a roll of film in it and i plan on burning it up before letting it go:biggrin:

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    (putting on my work hat...) Please be sure to conduct any FS business in the FS forum or by PM guys. Thanks!

5. the f5

He's right the F5 is Nikon's big daddy in film.
    As a matter of fact I carry it in my bag as a faithful backup.
    Once I went to shoot a wedding and I forgot all my CF cards. I had had no where to purchase a CF for my digital body. The wedding was about to start in 30 min! I had 16 rolls of film and the F5, this was one of my best wedding I've done. Thanks to that old faithful F5.
    What you can consider doing is ... shooting film then getting it developed at Costco for a cheap price. They can then scan the negs at a pretty high res giving you about 3mb per file. After it becomes a digital file, then you can do adjustments in PS.
    Whatever you do... that F5 is worth keeping. It trully is the best best film camera ever.

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

well it's way more camera than i need but NO doubt at all that's the finest 35mm camera i've ever had in my hands:biggrin:. i did burn a roll through it though....here's a dusty junk scan of a 4x6 print off my hp 3 in 1 @300 dpi, resized with just a little usm, no pp otherwise.

bright sun using a 50 1.8 @f1.8,,,...btw, one thing that really amazed me was the focusing speed using an AF lens. it just rips!
    573081847_11fac480f5_o.

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

sorry Chris ...didn't mean to get off track here:biggrin:

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    No problem Nute! The scan looks great! I've noticed that it NEVER does a bad exposure, unless I tell it to! And speed ... it AFs regular screw focus lenses faster than AFS lenses focus themselves!

I keep mine on a copy stand, and use it for making slides from prints. It is a hulking monster to carry around!

9. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks Chris ...that shot would have been a complete blow out on my d50 using matrix...the metering system on this cam is amazing..considering the conditions i was amazed how this shot turned out..and yes, the AF screw in this cam is blazing fast. i would be afraid to put a thrid party lens on this cam, it might blow it up..lol ,,and "hulking monster" is by no means an exageration:eek:...gosh whata camera:biggrin:

10. The F5 is a masterpiece worthwhile keeping and certainly if you have any desire to do film in addition to digital. Afterall you have a nice collection of lenses that fit this camera perfectly...

11. f5

So....... now what.......... do you still plan on selling it?

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Looks like it's sold (and I'm not surprised that it went so fast!)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  13. Daniel Bates

Daniel Bates

Jan 9, 2007
    That sure is a beautiful camera... pity I don't have the workflow to use a film SLR anymore.

14. Phew that was close. I was about to send a message.

15. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I used to be envious of a friend many years ago that had a Nikromat. I always had a Minolta 35mm. No regrets on that, the SRT-101 served us well that my Dad acquired, until it took a accidental bath, then my X700 also served well. I still have that camera, in pristine shape I might add. But without some adaptation, I can't use my Nikon lenses of course. So, the F5 is mine to play with. This body appears to be in nice shape, of course, I have not seen the back side, I hope it is ok back where the LCD is. (haha, I'm kidding)

I look forward to shootin' a roll soon, should be fun.

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I've just always associated the F5 with Bjørn's ice-floe story.

Uh Doug, do I understand that you will be posting up some film pix for us to salivate on?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  17. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Maybe, just maiobi'! One question, how do I fit the film in the card reader?

18. Daniel Bates

Daniel Bates

Jan 9, 2007
    The F5 has a card reader? :)

19. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    No, but it does have an output port. You can download exif.

20. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    no kiddin? Cool.

I knew you had to take the film out of the camera, it was how to get it into the card reader that had me stumped. ;)