Anyone interested in using Canon lenses?? on Nikon Cameras

Canon shooters are able to use Nikon lenses...this is great
for them to be able to use quality glass.
Nikon shooters are not able to use Canon lenses, however.

Does Canon have any lenses which are of quality to want to
use on the Nikon Camera?

Anyone interested in using Canon lenses?? on Nikon Cameras?

I contacted the maker of these Canon adapter rings and was told
there is not much interest to make a ring for Nikon users...
If there is enough interest we need to make our voices heard...

I don't think it's physically possible.

You can use Nikon lenses on Canon sensors because the crop factors are 1.5 vs 1.6. The canon sensors are slightly smaller so there is room to place an adapter and keep the registration distance in line with what was designed.

The opposite is true, I don't think you can make an adapter for Canon to Nikon without going out of spec for the lens.

But maybe you can for full frame lenses? I'm not sure.

Only two: 85/1.2L and 135/2L
Beyond that there isn't much. Their 105 macro is superb and probably better than the nikkor 105 macro but not compared to my ZF100.
Their new 70-200IS2 may edge out my 70-200VRII @ 70-150mm (very very slightly) but I think the VRII is better at the most important 200mm.
I suppose the 70-200/4L is an excellent lens Nikon doesnt have but I have no desire for one.
The 35/1.4G is as good if not better than the 35L. The 24/1.4G is most certainly better than the 24L. We don't have anything like the 50/1.2L but I don't think it's a great lens and would pass.

It's not physically possible. The reason is the different flange focal distance / flange-to-film distance.
This has nothing to do with some crop factor.

Adapter will not cut it. It will require some sort of special TC, if it possible at all. I will guess that it could be done by some serious manufacturer, but not in some garage "factory"somewhere in China. The first problem for any solid company is that both Nikon and Canon would drop an army of lawyers on their head with "no prisoners" order, so any long run production is not possible. Most important, of course, the payoff is simply not there. Demand is not so big, except for few old pros, so nobody will go for it.

the only Canon glass i've ever been jealous of was the 200mm f1.8L.

but as i just received my 200 f2.0/VRII this morning, there is no Canon glass i have any desire to own.

besides, Canon glass focuses the wrong way. Infinity to the right, not the left as is the case on Nikon glass and it stuffs me around in a big way trying to focus with it.

It's not physically possible. The reason is the different flange focal distance / flange-to-film distance.
This has nothing to do with some crop factor.

That and the answer to "Anyone interested in using Canon lenses?? on Nikon Cameras" is...

...someone might, but it ain't me. I got my Nikons to use Nikon lenses on...

Canon lenses on Nikon cameras - the Canon bayonet mount is larger than the Nikon mount therefore an extra piece of glass has to be added to the equation to compensate for the extra distance from the camera sensor. The results are not too satisfactory. HOWEVER - a Nikon lens on a Canon works well since the adapter does not need the extra glass. It does need the AF confirmation chip since Canons (at least mine, a 550D, will not confirm focus on their own. I purchased a "chipped" adapter that allows me to use the Nikon G lenses (and D also) and set the lens opening with a little lever on the adapter. The cost was over $100 from Fotodiox but worth it. I use the AF confirm feature to put me in the ball park and tweak it from there. I get the quality of a Nikon lens on an inexpensive Canon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish Nikon made something equivalent to the 100~400 f/4 L USM. This lens, 2 month old is going cheap, and I explored if I could use this lens on my D300 with some kind of a mount converter (sacrilege)...:smile:

I was told that the converters are available for Nikon to Canon & vice versa, but the biggest drawback was:

1. Only manual focussing would work

2. No metering at all. Back to good old days of guessing the distance, light available and then setting the approx shutter & aperture speed.

3. Aperture cannot be changed or set. Once mounted the aperture would remain fully open.

I came back with the tail firmly tucked in between.

p.s: Nikon does have the 200~400 f/4. An excellent glass that I want. Is somebody here into philanthropy? Tried calling Warren (Buffet), he wouldn't pick-up my phone...

gd1418 said:
I wish Nikon made something equivalent to the 100~400 f/4 L USM

Canon users are wishing the same thing, considering that Canon makes no such lens.

Canon Glass on Nikon

I thought the old Canon glass before the mount change would physically fit on a Nikon mount with an adapter? I don't think this is the glass the OP was referring to though.

J

jkniple

They do exist - but buyer beware.

There is an adapter available to take older Canon lenses to Nikon bodies, but I wouldn't recommend it. In order to correct the shorter lens to focal plane distance they employ a small lens in the adapter to correct the images in an attempt to focus throughout the normal range of the lens. The company that makes them is Fotodiox, and they sell them on Amazon if you care to look them up.

I tried one from Fotodiox to see if I could get old manual focus Minolta lenses to work on my Nikon bodies. Although it worked to a degree - there was an image that could be focused to some degree of success, the quality was awful. I also had some quality control issues with my copy as the bayonet for the Minolta lenses didn't seat properly.

So, they do exist but I don't believe can be used for any serious work.

I want to thank everyone for their replies...
Good input by everyone... :smile:
I have been reading these and listening with big ears.
The lens' I would be interested in is one of the 400mm, the 5.6
and the 800mm as mentioned by Jonathan...

Nikon made lenses are of excellent quality. I believe they have a good variety of them that can fit almost any shooter...and they are specifically made to fit their cameras.
I NEVER felt the need to buy other brands, except when money was an issue.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

I agree. Do not miss any canon lens... okay, maybe the MP-E 65mm 1:2.8 is much interesting. Nikons Design, feeling and bokeh are much pretier. And the canon price is sometimes lesser. ;)

Canon shooters are able to use Nikon lenses...this is great
for them to be able to use quality glass.
Nikon shooters are not able to use Canon lenses, however.

Does Canon have any lenses which are of quality to want to
use on the Nikon Camera?

Anyone interested in using Canon lenses?? on Nikon Cameras?

I contacted the maker of these Canon adapter rings and was told
there is not much interest to make a ring for Nikon users...
If there is enough interest we need to make our voices heard...

Call Macgyver.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom