Anyone know how to write a bio?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snugelbune, May 16, 2007.

1. snugelbune

snugelbune

Mar 15, 2006
    NYC suburbs
    My husband entered me into an art gallery showing without asking me...if he'd have asked, I'd have said NO (yes, he's sleeping on the couch for the forseeable future):370: I love him for his confidence in me, but he doesn't get the fact that I'm not one to love the idea of public displays of my work...it's my hobby, not my profession--you know?!

Anyway, I have to write a bio...thought I did, just said a little blurb about me and what I like to shoot, but apparently this wasn't considered a bio. So, this begs the question, what the heck is a bio that you put up in an art gallery?

Any help or ideas would be met with immediate prayers for happiness sent your way! I need this tonight and I am stumped.

Thanks

2. I do... Well, kinda sorta...

Easy... Keep it to about 2000 words, in the first person it is easier as well as faster to read (and write) 2000 words is the norm for some major North American News paper stories (Attention span and interest...). A bio is not a resume it is a life story.

This link below may give you some ideas.

The Life of a Travelling Minstrel

Write it first in the first person and then you can turn it into the third person, in your case concentrate on your art/hobby, emphasis on why you do what you do.

Good luck with the show! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. snugelbune

snugelbune

Mar 15, 2006
    NYC suburbs
    Thanks, Dude

Ok, so I'm caught between sounding like Nelson from the Simpsons or Jeff Bridges from the Big Lebowski (sp) and if those are obscure references, I apologize, it's just that addressing you as "Dude" makes me smile.

So, thanks for the link and the interesting story it tells! I appreciate your help. I really can't imagine writing 200 let alone 2000 words about me, which is a shock as I've NEVER been short on words...but this is different.

Hmmm, I'll have to sleep on it!

Thanks again, I really enjoyed your post as well as reading through the comments it generated.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Michelle, about 200 words explaining your favorute subjects, the subjects on display, and your passion with "your favorite two men", you know what I mean....humanize it, then let the photo do the rest...
    luck and pixels
    dit

5. Thank you Michelle, the problem may reside in the person doing the writing, ask your significant other or a good friend write about and/or interview you to write the said bio... Your husband entered you into the art gallery, ask him to write your bio :Happy: :biggrin:

6. snugelbune

snugelbune

Mar 15, 2006
    NYC suburbs
    Thanks Dude and Dit...

Dude and Dit...oh my...

Thanks, I'll keep the advice from both of you in mind. I did ask my husband, and his exact words were, "you haven't been doing this long enough to have a bio." Of course, he might be ticked that I'm still basically not talking to him:Sheriff:

7. Keep it as short as possible.

8. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    Read bios on other photogs' and artists' websites to get the hang of it... and to learn what not to write. :biggrin: And definitely keep it concise, unless you have a backstory like the bagpiper. Attention spans aren't getting any longer.