Anyone know much about Leica?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ppub101, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC
    Hey Guys, right now I have the chance to buy a Leica M4-MOT in black, with two lenses in mint condition for 150$. Is that a good price for this camera? I honestly do not know what lenses are with it, however they are still new in plastic. What do you all think? Thanks for your time!

Paul

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That's hilarious Paul. Such a camera would fetch thousands because of it's low production and collectability. It's most likely the scam/phishing scheme as described here.

3. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC
    Oh wow, I feel stupid now. Thank you Chris for the heads up.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Don't feel stupid, I had never heard of it until, upon reading your post, I googled 'Leica M4 MOT'. This came up as the second link.

5. As a Leica user since 1978 I can tell you there is no such animal!!:eek::eek:

The MOT designation was given to the R series which were SLR's not their rangefinder cameras which are the M series; although they did make a attachment for bulk roll film that was/are very rare and would set you back about $50000!

Bob F.

6. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC
    Wow Bob, great information! I checked the guy's email and it seems legit, so thats whats weird. He sent me an email, so who knows what will happen at this point in time. Probably a stupid scam, we shall see.

7. Ask him what lenses he has and their numbers. I can check this against what records I still have, in the hope that I can confirm if they are legitimate.

Bob F.

8. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC
    Thank you very much Bob. If I hear back I will give you a shout :smile:

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Sorry Bob, that's just wrong. Look here. The problem is that you would never see one in England, as they were manufactured in the 60's for the US Navy. And there were only a few hundred of them made.

Cameraquest is a very good resource for Leica M cameras. Here is a serial number list anyone can use.

10. Good Grief!:eek::eek::eek:
    These would be worth an absolute fortune.:biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks Bob F

11. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC
    Well Lets hope and pray this is legit and I can get it : ) I highly doubt it, but hey, you never know.

12. Zensu

Zensu

May 5, 2006
    Alabama USA
    you never know is right

Had a young guy (20's) ask me about some camera equipment he inherited from his grandfather who had just passed away. I said sure bring it to work and I'll give you a ballpark estimate. This kid opens up his grandad's camera case and pulld out a BEAUTIFUL Leica M4 with 3 MAGNIFICENT Lietz lenses!:eek:
    I played with them for a little while and told the young guy he needed to speak with a professional about these, they were easily worth many thousands and in my opinion suitable for a collector. The young man decided to keep the camera and lenses and still uses them these days. He says they remind him of his grandfather, guess you can't put a value on that kind of memory.

13. Just to clarify here. I am a camera collector but not specifically a Leica collector. I do have a few but I do not follow the prices too carefully. Here is my take on this. The M4 MOT was produced sometime between 1967 and 1973. A mint perfect example with a motor would bring $12000 easily. A special version for the US Navy was given the designator KE-7A. It came with an Elcan 50mm f2. I can't confirm other lenses as part of this special order. Depending on condition, these should be $8000-15000 on the collector market. In the late 1980's a group of these military models were released to the pubic in origiinal packaging making these scarce in mint condition but not rare.

So ... Paul, be very very careful. Leicas are commonly and easily faked.