Anyone know of a simple free slideshow program with transition effects?

I'm trying to find a free Windows program for my Dad that will allow him to display his photos as a slideshow and include transitions effects. It needs to be simple to use as he isn't very computer savvy. He just bought a computer with Windows 7 that included Live Photo Gallery, but it refuses to work correctly, throwing errors whenever he tries to use it with files on DVD or when we try to set it as the default program for jpegs. His computer also has Windows Photo Viewer and it will do slideshows, but it doesn't seem to do any zooming or panning transitions like the Live Photo Gallery and he really likes that.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

Animoto.. it was recommended to me by someone here an it is fantastically easy to use and adds music.. try it..

I looked into those mentioned in this thread and even installed faststone, but believe it or not, I'm afraid they are all more complex than he can handle. He is very computer illiterate and his needs are very simple. He doesn't want to create slideshows or manipulate his images at all. All I'm looking for is something I can set as the default program for jpg's and be able to double-click on an image and immediately start a slideshow of all the photos in the current directory. The only other requirements are a simple pause, forward and back navigation bar and some zoom and panning tranisition effects.

It won't work for him if he has to go into a program and start the slideshow from some menu. Especially if there a ton of buttons and options. I've bee doing a lot of research on this, but there are a lot of programs and I have a clean Windows install that I'd rather not install and uninstall a dozen programs on to try and find this.

All I'm looking for is something I can set as the default program for jpg's and be able to double-click on an image and immediately start a slideshow of all the photos in the current directory. The only other requirements are a simple pause, forward and back navigation bar and some zoom and panning tranisition effects.

Irfanview and Faststone will do that, if you allow me to qualify it to be a manual "slide show". Click on an image, and it shows, then you can also see all images in that folder. You do have to tap the space bar to go to the next image, and hit the Backspace key to go back to the previous image. How hard is that? Or you can use the Left/Right arrow keys on the four key pad to do the same. Plus and Minus on numpad will zoom (don't know about pan). Couldn't be easier. You can close the programs by hitting the ESC key (or the regular menus too). There is nothing simpler to use.

They have a jillion other options of course... Useful ones are to toggle full screen or regular window, to show thumbnail view of the folder, etc.

My preference is Irfanview, because I have always used it as my default viewer. Faststone is new to me, but it appears the same in this respect.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Here is a solution for Windows 7 without installing anything. Do exactly the following.

1. Open folder containing the images, in Windows Explorer.
2. Right click on first image and then click on Preview.
3. You can now see the image full screen in Windows Photo Viewer.
4. Use left and right arrow keys to navigate.
5. Optionally, press F11. This will play an actual slideshow automatically without touching the computer.
6. When he gets more confident he can zoom in and out too.

Otherwise I don't see how you can hope to do it without running a program. As Wayne says, you can use FastStone to do it without using ANY menu options at all. Just navigate to the folder, double click the first image and then use the arrow keys.

Picasa photoviewer from google? Open the program, scroll to the picture you want, hit play at the top of the screen. While the slideshow is playing, move the mouse and a menu comes up on the bottom with play, ff, rw, and the option for transition effects, one of which is zoom/pan.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom