Anyone know where get the HK-4 hood for 28 1.4 lens?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by GeeJay, Mar 16, 2005.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    I have the 28 1.4 and the HK-7 hood...

I've not been able to find the HK-4 hood that Ron R. recommends..

Anyone have any idea where I can get it? Sure appreciate that information..a great lens like that should have a good hood :)

Gaye

2. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks Jay,
    I need to find the HK-4 hood. It's a tough one to find and it's on backorder at BH with no date for delivery.. It doesn't look promising about that hood.

I'm hoping to find it on Ebay or any other place that pops up...if anyone sees it please let me know and I'll get it.

Many thanks for your help,
    Gaye

3. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Ron, thanks a million!

Gaye

4. Any time, Gaye...

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. I mentioned this in another thread but don't think it caught anyones attention so I will take advantage of this thread to try one more time. I am going to get a 28/1.4 lens I have decided. I have been watching the discussion of obtaining a hood for this lens and it occurs to me that the lens is primarlily designed for use indoors and in low ambient light particularly night time photography. Of the several people who carry this lens, have you felt the need to have a hood? I could see the argument that if this were your walk about lens or the only lens you used during a day out shooting, a hood might come in handy. But do any of you choose to use this lens walking about in daylight for general travel or scenic photography or do you use your zoom lenses, 17-55 or 28-70 etc under these circumstances.

I envision keeping this lens in my bag for those hard to get shots when light was not likely to flare in the lens.

Just curious since the lens is so expensive, I probably will save a few pennies by not upgrading or purchasing a hood and I also just do not have room for one more thing after this lens goes in my kit. Not even sure where I will put this lens yet. I practically have to buy a second seat on the airplane just for my camera bag.

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

8. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Paul,

Good post and good thinking!

Gaye

9. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Gaye

Still waiting for mine should be here in two weeks,waited than over a month

Paul

I hope it does makes the difference with or without up till now I'm not that surprised with it

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

11. Scott,

Thanks for asking all the questions that I too was wondering about. I'm getting a great education.

12. Excellent responses. That is exactly the reason that I hang out here. I was a bit surprised, as I did not expect you to say that the hood would be of benefit. I am anxious to get the lens and try it under different light and shooting circumstances. I wish I had more time, I have been soooo busy lately but we will be going on a shooting trip soon to Canada so I will have plenty of photos soon.

I tried an experiment at home. I put a hn-31 hood (supplied with a 85mm f1.4 lens) on a 17-55 set at 28mm and saw no vignetting when I photographed a white wall. Can I expect the same from the 28 with a step up ring? It seems it should work and I would have one good hood for two lenses. I will probably order a 28mm lens Monday. I figure I might as well get it before my trip instead of waiting and using it to take duck pictures.

Paul, you and Gaye especially have been very helpful and I really appreciate your posts and responses. But thanks to all Cafe members who have thrown in thier 2c worth. I always say there is no dumb question, but if I keep going at this rate, I will definitely find one.

13. Great idea! Very creative.