Anyone loading custom curves on the D200?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Bohdan, Dec 25, 2005.

1. used them on the d70...interested in getting opinion on the benefits if any of custom curves for shooting the d200 ...note...I shoot NEF..

If so....which curve are you using and why?

thanks

Bob

2. Related question for future reference: Can D200 use multiple curves? That is, can you load multiple curves and switch between them?

3. Bob,

Hi! Not sure why you'd use curves if you shoot NEF. You can get the same effect in NC in post processing, can't you?

Rich

4. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Since there are 4 "banks" (A, B, C, D) of settings that you can alter and choose which set you want, it seems as though a Custom Curve would be part of just one set and therefore it would take up to 4.

Now that we've hypothesized, let's wait for the more industrious among us to actually test that theory! And, I'll wait for a curve to be created like the one I used in my D70 (sReala).

5. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Rich, I found that by using a curve, even with NEF, it reduced the amount of PP I had to do by a great deal. The "caveat" is that only Nikon Capture (which is what I use first for NEF) will display the image with the settings in effect from the camera, so unless you use NC the curve is of little value for PP. (Maybe some other software can do that now?)

I shot RAW+JPG, so in many instances I didn't need to use the NEF image at all.

6. Thanks Ken - Wow! 4 banks. I like that but then again I cannot even get my settings correct all the time with no banks. Shot ISO 800 all day yesterday. Thought I checked it. LOL.

4 banks would be neat.

Gonna be a long year saving up to get one of these D200s.

I think you right about NC though. As far as I know it is the only program to support custom curves so without NC then I suppose curves would not be of much use.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    only 1 custom curve can be loaded

at a time. Just 1 folks, sorry!