Anyone Looking to Buy V3?

Wondered if there is anyone still looking to
acquire a Nikon 1 V3.......
How many have placed orders and are still waiting to receive theirs...

Wondering how popular this little camera is...?

Thought I would help someone on the café who was trying to get this camera...
but, guess no one is interested... :(
I will contact the store in a short time so they can release the camera......

Mine arrived on Friday. Here were my reasons for purchase: I need something more sophisticated than a P&S to carry on a road bike, especially while cycling in Spain later this year. I do a LOT of sightseeing by bike, and have actually purchased a touring bike to use when traveling state-side because I can mount a trunk bag and carry my D600 + lenses + tripod. But a road bike is lighter, swifter, and doesn't take nicely to added weight - it's not designed to carry anything but a rider. There are times when I am touring a new, beautiful place on a road bike and want better control of settings than I get with my Canon S110. Our second week in Spain, we'll be hiking in the Pyrenees, and I don't want to have to take extra hiking packs just to manage the D600 on foot - I already have enough gear in my suitcase!

So, the V3 is the best solution I can find, right now. It gives me more DSLR-like control. It's amazingly tiny, especially the 30-100mm lens, which weighs about 4 ounces. The entire package will fit in a 5h"x7w"x 2.5d" bag with room to spare. I can put the camera, with the 10-30mm lens mounted, into a jersey pocket on my back, or I can put them in a little handlebar bag that doubles as a cross-body purse.

First impressions: I have read through the manual a couple of times, and changed some menu settings to suit my purposes. I also figured out the WiFi connectivity - which, although a bit clunky, is better than the "nothing" I have on the D600. I like the touch-&-shoot option which allows you to tap whatever you want to focus on, on the LCD, and the camera instantaneously focuses & shoots. The EVF is weird. What I see through it is never in sharp focus, although the subsequent photo is (& yes, I've adjusted the diopter). The veiwfinder also weirdly bright, & casts greenish color. I may have to practice my composition skills using only the LCD!

The photos, so far, are mixed. It's not very good in low light, and in fact, since it's been cloudy all week-end, I'm having to jack the ISO up to 400 or 800 to get a properly exposed shot. The pop-up flash is as bad as all of them - too close to lens level & too garish. Cranking it down with flash compensation helps.

Again, the V3 is nowhere near being a miniature FX Nikon. I don't expect it to be. I wanted something as small & light as a P&S, but with better controls & interchangeable lenses. Is it worth the money? I'm not sure, but I'm keeping mine, because for the moment, it is my best option in this genre. And just like I had to learn how to use the "big" camera, I'll have to learn how to best use the "little bitty" one.

Mary, the EVF is not an OVF that is for sure. But I still find it better than trying to hold the camera out in front using the LCD. The exception to this are the shots where I have the LCD tilted out for overhead or waist level shots. The Tap and Shoot is a hoot, isn't it? I thought it would be hokey, but at times it is convenient. I have had good luck even up to 1600-2000 ISO, the Nef files are quite resilient.

If anyone is still looking, PM me, I was at a local store yesterday with not only V3 stock, but 70-300 CX stock as well, although they now have one less 70-300CX. Now I just need my wife to get back from San Francisco so I can test it on the V3 .....

If anyone is still looking, PM me, I was at a local store yesterday with not only V3 stock, but 70-300 CX stock as well, although they now have one less 70-300CX. Now I just need my wife to get back from San Francisco so I can test it on the V3 .....
Bill, I'm happy to do a field test for you! Mine is only a V1, but it would be a good idea to see how it performs.

According to Nikon Rumors is the Nikon 1 V3 discontiued. That can't be correct?
I can't find it on Nikon Rumors. Please post link. Nikon 200mm f/4 micro is listed as discontinued, but I can't find any V3 notice.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom